If You Could Go Back In Time ...

by Big Tex 19 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

If you could say anything to your old self, what would it be?
    "Look , you've got to check chronology ....

you have to know if "right of authority "was granted the WT in 1919. ...where should our true obedience lie ? "

What does a non-bias investigation tell you about WT history ?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I would explain the concept of logical fallacies to myself. So often I saw arguments where I thought, "I agree with the conclusion, but not the way they came to the conclusion. I couldn't use that argument with someone and expect them to believe it." I would go back and ask myself why I believed it just because the society said so. I would encourage myself to ask questions rather than take the given answers for granted and I'm pretty sure I would have listened.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I would say that the world isn't much different outside of the WTBTS. Humans are humans no matter where or what they are.

You have your evildoers and liars and you loving and faithful ones both inside and outside the organization.

The WTBTS tried to tell us they were different, but they aren't. They are mere humans as we all are. No better , no worse.

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

That is an interesting question. I am not sure I could have said anything, my younger me would probably be convinced I was a demon and would run away yelling "JEHOVAH! JEHOVAH! JEHOVAH!". I had to experience a lot and reach a point of bitter depression, once I was there all it took was finding out the WatchTower teaches Jehovah will kill babies at armageddon and not ressurect them.

CandleS

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am what I am due to what I have seen/done/felt/touched/experienced. So, a bit like fate, I suppose, I was only ready to leave after I had seen enough hypocricy, lack of love, etc, to move me to investigate.

If I was to meet myself in an earlier time, I would have encountered a young man who was impossible to convince otherwise. I was cocksure, positively convinced that I had the 'truth'. I met myself at a hundred different doors in the preaching work over time. Older men who assured me with what should have been persuasive words of aged wisdom, clear thought, and discernment that comes from astute observation and time, that I did not have the trademarked version of 'truth' either in my head or my heart. I didn't listen to them, though in some small way they may have influenced the overall picture. I doubt I could have done any better if transported back in time. My young self would have just rejected out of hand any and all arguments that 'belittled' my 'truth'.

Still, if you have a time machine, it would be fun to try!

Jeff

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My grandfather back in the 60's told me the witnesses were full of shxt. He said they were

predicting the end of the world since he was a boy. He told me I was wasting my time

with those stupid meetings.

I didnt know how to process that because my mother made me go to the meetings

and if I didnt go I was grounded.

Fortunately the witnesses set a date 1975 and 76 came and nothing happened.

So I used that clause to claim my freedom.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I was raised a witness but from about 12 I knew it was not the truth. I really knew it was bol..x and even as a kid could not understand how everyone believed this crap.

I would say to myself. "Stand up for yourself. Tell your parents how you feel. They will be hurt but they can't beat you for not believing (well they may try but it will be worth it).".

That would have ended a 6 year sharade.

Arte:)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I think most people who leave Jehovah's Witnesses do so only after they have gone through an experience. I think that for the vast majority of us, words, logic, even scripture would have been meaningless.

We had to go through what we did, as painful as it was, in order to escape.

I don't know what the means or says about people. Maybe it's that old axiom about experience being the best teacher!

Chris

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'd grab myself by the shoulders and say "The Watchtower wants your precious, precious bodily fluids. RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

BTS

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I dont want to go back now and slap myself over the head and say the hell are you thinking!, This might sound crazy- but I actually learned alot of usefull things during my study with JW's (i did learn alot crap too- but we live and learn). I did the whole "make sure of all things first" and thats why I stopped my study before being baptised, I was a good bible student... but sadly good bible students dont make christians!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that is why they call it the present- (From the Turtle in the movie KungFu Panda)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit