JW's Value Position & Appearances over Displaying God's Qualities

by flipper 37 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I know. I know. Before some of the long time members here say to me " Tell us something we DON'T know Flipper " - please hear me out on this one. Some of the newly exiting JW's may not know this info - but need to be made aware of it.

As a young man I was raised in the cult Jehovah's Witnesses and remained from birth until age 44 . I was never, ever asked by my elder father in all those years the question, " Son, How is your relationship with Jehovah doing ? " But many times I was asked by him the question, " Son, How is your STANDING in the congregation ? Are you REACHING OUT for POSITIONS or PRIVILEGES ? " So obviously as the years progressed I equated " reaching out " or " Advancing " or attaining " position and privileges " with being the all IMPORTANT thing in being a Jehovah's Witness - because it is what was emphasized to me my entire JW life !

Although I HEARD from the platform in talks to develop the fruits of God's spirit - love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, mildness, etc . - still the things that were stressed so much more were " be sure to turn your time in at the end of the month " or " reach out to pioneer " or " show you are progressing by commenting at meetings " or " be in good standing " and become " theatrical spectacles " to the world ! All of this appearance and desire for climbing into being a ministerial servant or elder was thrust down my throat like a mother bird cramming worms down it's young !

And the ironic part I noticed as years went by was - That many publishers who were more concerned with attaining positions often DID NOT display God's spirit- love, mildness, kindness, etc. Because they just were interested in attaining position and appearance by field service, commenting at meetings, carrying microphones, giving talks - all " outward " symbols which really had nothing to do with them being a " good " person who shows love or kindness to others. Now- To be fair- of course their were some who valued Godly qualities - but it was getting " our time in field service " that was the BIG thing. So in my opinion it's one reason so many a-holes end up in power positions in the organization. Having a kind, good personality is NOT what's emphasized at all. It's all about production of increasing numbers of converts, and climbing in power and positions for appearance sake.

So what about you folks ? what did YOU see when you were in the Jehovah's Witness cult ? Do you feel like you are able to be more yourself now without all the insane expectations by the WT society on you ? I know I am. And I also feel like a kinder, more concerned individual towards others welfare . So as always - I welcome newbies and old time posters as well ! I enjoy your comments

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch
    So in my opinion it's one reason so many a-holes end up in power positions in the organization. Having a kind, good personality is NOT what's emphasized at all. It's all about production of increasing numbers of converts, and climbing in power and positions for appearance sake.

Flipper my husband and I saw that time and time again. Having a 'christian' personality and being a loving, kind, fair person that really cared for others in the congregation did not count - it was what you appeared to be doing and how good a show you could put on, who you could suck up to, how well you would toe the party line and how much of a risk of rocking the boat you would be. In fact one congregation we were in one of the elder's told an MS that was keen to reach elder status that if he wanted to be an elder he need to 'polish the car'. The car was the PO and the polishing meant brown nosing, flattering and included giving gifts of money and meals etc (the PO was unemployed and pioneering).

Over the many years (40) that we were JWs we saw those that were like that were appointed way ahead of those who were meek, quiet, caring ones.

Hopscotch

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Wow, reading your thread brings back memories in my empty head! All those catch phrases made me a bit squeamish, like this one “Brothers are you reaching out for the office of overseer, or you young ones have you “set your goals for Bethel service”. It all began when my dad set me up at a circuit assembly to scrap food trays into a garbage can, and he kept telling me it was a privilege, of course I roiled my eyes just before I puked into the can of scraped food.

• flipper
    flipper

HOPSCOTCH- I hear what you are saying. I had an elder ( former MS ) tell me something similar to reach out to become a Ministerial servant a second time. He said, " You know what you have to do don't you Flipper " ? I said, " Well, help the brothers and sisters out, go out in service, reach out, give encouraging talks ! " He said, " No . You need to have a PROMINENT elder recognize you and your efforts. Cozy up to the important elders in the congregation. Not brother 90 year old elder who is not used. Get close to the presiding overseer who will notice you ! " I replied, " No thanks. I'm not wired that way. "

But you are right- the really kind, loving people were basically looked over and ignored - it was the ambitious " look at me first " type people who got noticed and appointed positions many times. The class distinctions just nauseated me at times.

LEPRECHAUN- Good point you make. Yeah, even serving food to the people at lunch time at assemblies was looked at as a " privilege " ! That and cleaning toilets , emptying trash or food like you said. Weird. Those catch phrases are freaky - I agree. Sorry for bringing up bad memories for you ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Flipper..

The Jehovah`s Witness Religion isn`t about God,Jesus,or,what you are doing to help your fellow man..

The Jehovah`s Witness Religion is about "What are you doing for the WBT$??!!":

.....Have you been to all the WBT$ Sales meetings?

......How much time have you spent selling WBT$ products?

.....How many WBT$ products were you able to get into the hands of potentual WBT$ Victims?

......Are you training your children to become good WBT$ product Salesmen?

........Ect..ect..ect..

....................OUTLAW

• White Dove
    White Dove

Popularity contests were rife in every congregation I've been in. I'm not wired that way, either, so I was not a popular one. I wasn't rich. Only one parent was "in the truth." My sister and I always dressed at least 10 years behind the current fashions.

• flipper
    flipper

OUTLAW- Exactly as you say- I agree. The witnesses serve their god - the WT society.

WHITE DOVE- I did see these popularity contests for sure. I'm glad you weren't wired that way and you didn't get sucked into the mind control of the popularity contests ! Good for you

• Satanus
    Satanus

I saw that, too. After i left the wt, i went to a few churches. In one, one of the men came forward to confess some big, bad nonos, fooling around on his wife, or something. There was crying, hugging, and forgiving. It was kind of cool to see how they threw appearances to the wind, and did their best to handle a matter in the best possible way of the christian way.

S

• ssn587
    ssn587

Leprechaun's comment about working being a priviledge is what got me, anytime they want you to work and especially for free they call it a priviledge. My aching rear its a priviledge. But you are all right about the ass kissing etal to get promoted to MS and elder. Appointed by HS no way the only spirit getting them the promotion is the holy spirit of ass kissing.

• designs
    designs

'Be sure and get your hours in, afterwards you can back off'

Advise I got before my appointment as an Elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit