U.S. Life Expectancy Hits All-Time High

by leavingwt 40 Replies latest social current

• yesidid
    yesidid
    I maintain that overall the US health care system is probably the best in the world,

I note that you continually maintain that stance.

However you have not yet given any indication that you have given even a cursory glance at any other systerm.

How then could your asertions have any credibility?

I guess it comes down to the very insightful thing your friend Burn said:

"I suppose that national pride is a big thing."

y

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

The medical people I know that have worked in Cuba have said that, while the technology is comparatively old, the quality of medical care is high and the measure of infant mortality looks accurate to them.

I was talking to a nurse practitioner this week who was most tickled by the memory of the steel, sterilizable bedpans still generally in use there.

Infant mortality is most directly linked to neonatal care of the mother, which takes both awareness on the mothers part but, mor importantly, access to healthcare - information, checkups, early intervention. In the US, this is mostly lacking in low economic and minority poluations.

So, healthcare availability, due to cost, is a significant player in the infant mortality arena - and even countries like Cuba are doing something better than the US in this regard.

• brojo
    brojo

A study was done by two University of Iowa researchers regarding life expectancy rankings. They factored in accidental fatalities including murders. When factored in, the US comes out on top in life expectancy. Check it out.

http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2007/09/natural-life-expectancy-in-united.html

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Good stuff!

Where have you been all this time brojo?

Don't be a stranger!

BTS

• yesidid
    yesidid

They factored in accidental fatalities including murders. When factored in, the US comes out on top in life expectancy.

What really blows my mind is that you quote the above showing that the US has abnormally high accident and murder rates,

as though it is something for which you are proud.

y

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    as though it is something for which you are proud.

I doubt he is proud, and your apparent thinking he does, does not make it so. It's pretty ridiculous to think he is proud, and health care has little linkage with murder RATES. He is merely quoting a factor that affects the final numbers.

BTS

• yesidid
    yesidid

You are right of course Burn. Thank you for bring that to my attention.

I'm sure he isn't proud of them, nobody would be.

y

• brojo
    brojo

No. I am not proud. It is quite disheartening. In response to your (BTS)easking where I have been, I actually check JW.net about every two or three days. I normally don't contribute too much because once I get involved in a discussion, I feel a need to follow it through to the end and I hav'nt had the time to do that. I just took an early retirement from State of CT employment. Governor offered early retirement package to get rid of some state employees to help balance the budget. So I decided to take it. Working my own ebay business now and it keeps busy. But at least I have the freedom now to get a little involved in some of the discussions I may be more passionate about. Most everything that can be said regarding WT issues has been said or is being said. So I don't particularly feel a need to involve myself in those discussions.

One thing regarding JWs I am interested in pursuing a little more has to do with Kingdom Hall ownership and the Society's involvment in the quick build projects. Some time ago someone posted a note saying that the building contractors and tradesmen involved with the regional building committees actually get paid along with their crews for their work on quick build projects. It appears that the Society in effect contracts out these projects to the regional crews and they make money on the projects since most of the labor from the individual JWS is free. The average JW thinks that everyone working on the project is volunteering his time and skills but some are getting paid. And ultimately, the Society ends up amassing more and more property, since they finance the project with JW donated money and then are paid back by the congregation having the KH built. I think the average JW would be surprised and disturbed to know that he is being used in this way. I don't know if I'm off base with this, but I'd like to find out more.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I think the average JW would be surprised and disturbed to know that he is being used in this way. I don't know if I'm off base with this, but I'd like to find out more.

Yeah, bro, this could actually be the piece that breaks the back of the WTS - property ownership. I hope you or someone pursues this.

• brojo
    brojo

I'll bring up the subject next week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit