JW's view of suidice

by highdose 19 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

before i was severed from the borg, i noticed that they did seem to change their minds about suidice not being worthy of a resserrection.

mind you it was very very vague in an article... and everyone was saying " do they mean this?" or "do they mean that?"

is anyone aware of the current stance?

• Girlie
    Girlie

Edited: There was a watchtower or an awake article that spoke about suicide and how only Jehovah is the one who has the final judgement on rather he deems the person worthy of a resurrection or not as only he knows the pain and suffering the individual was undergoing that lead to it. Not sure of how you feel about the website, but if you go to there and look under their current events section, I believe there is an article they have on it that you can download from the site.

• blondie
    blondie

*** g91 1/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

SuicideMy mother, a faithful servant of God, took her life after a month of deep depression. Her death left an indescribable burden and heartache for all of us who loved her. The thought that I might never see her again made the pain of her loss harder to bear. Your article ("The Bible’s Viewpoint: Suicides—A Resurrection?" September 8, 1990) made me feel more "normal" and happy inside, knowing that I can entertain the hope of her resurrection.

T. M., United States

• undercover
    undercover

I guess per what Blondie found, it looks like the WTS will allow followers to "entertain" the hope of resurrection for suicide victims...but I don't think it was always that way.

I remember when a family member committed suicide and I was talking to an elder about it. Instead of words of comfort he told me that since that person committed suicide they couldn't be resurrected. Way to comfort and console, asshole.

• blondie
    blondie

Earlier the WTS played both sides of the street; also many jws associate Judas suicide and no resurrection as to being because of his suicide rather than the nebulous accusation that he sinned against the holy spirit.

*** w54 5/1 p. 286 Questions From Readers ***The sins of suicide and murder need not be sins against the holy spirit, and, if not, would be forgivable. Sin is sin, regardless of what kind, and a resurrection for a suicide or a murderer not in the truth would depend more on how deeply he was steeped in paganism or demonism, on his ability to repent and be recovered from the depths of heathenism, than on the specific sin or sins committed previously. It is Jehovah God and Christ Jesus who will judge this capacity to repent and this ability to recover and who will decide whether to resurrect certain individuals or not. We are content to let the matter rest in their capable, just, merciful hands.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

IF suicide was a sin punishable by non-resurrection, then all those that commited suicide by refusing a blood transfusion would be in big trouble.

Makes sense that the WT would make their view as being "up to God and Jesus".

• booby
    booby

Reading the Questions From Readers . . . just emphasizes their double speak. After purporting on several different levels, their view on the matter, they are then and only then willing to leave it "up to God and Jesus". Why not say, we have no clue and must defer to God, Jesus, and the bible. But then where would the power be in that view.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

Its one of thoose not talked about things at least with the witnesses i know i overdosed on anti anxiety pills on the plane ride here and no-1 in my jw family that im staying with has said a word about it.Its been 3 days i guess were over it. lol

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

My brother committed suicide and although he was not a baptised witness, only briefly studied he had a Memorial given by an elder.

The elder pointed out how we did not fully understand depression and the pain one was under to bring them to the point of suicide

and held open the hope of resurrection for my brother. It was left in the hands of Jehovah.

• vikesgirl101
    vikesgirl101

purps: That is the way it was explained to me too. It sounds like your brother's death was within the last ten years, huh? My condolences.

I attempted to take my life almost two years ago. I almost got away with it. I was in the hospital for 10 days. Anyways, it prompted me to do alot of research as to the JW and GB beliefs. I was appalled at the 1970's articles that pretty much told you that such a person was a murderer. It was like no one understood me. I was taking my own life because I was sure that Jehovah wanted me gone, because I was such a huge failure to him. Years later they understood it as an illness, which I was glad to see. It made me wonder if they changed their views because someone close to them committed suicide. I hate to speculate there.

But what I did learn is that someone who does commit suicide cannot have the funeral in the KH. That tells me that they still have mixed feelings on the issue. I asked who would have handled my funeral, and my Dad said it would be an elder, but had to be outside the KH. Not too comforting. It just validated the wicked feeling that I carried of myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit