Universal Health Care, Pluses and Minuses

by watson 347 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

It's a little late to be posting something like this, but I hope you can help me a little. I would really like to review some of the pluses and minuses of Universal type health care. So here are some for consideration. Please add your pluses and minuses for discussion. I favor changes, so feel free to make your points.

Thanks,
    Watson

Universal Health Care

Pluses:

Will help us compete in the world economy

Will allow me to pursue my passion, instead of keep a shit job, out of fear.

Will take the profit motive out of “life saving” healthcare.

Will help me avoid bankruptcy and losing everything that I have worked for my whole life, if I should be one of the unlucky ones with a serious health problem.

Will make sure that all citizens will have access to life saving health practices.

I might actually go to the doctor without fear of finding something serious.

May help us to regain some respect on the world stage.

Minuses:

Will cost me more in taxes.

Some people will take advantage of the system.

Some doctors may not be able to build empires.

Stock holders in healthcare companies may see some of their wealth disappear.

Some hospitals will have to lay linoleum instead of Italian marble in their entry ways and lobbies.

Artists may have to sell their works to other venues.

It will take some effort.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Will take the profit motive out of “life saving” healthcare.

What do you think drives "life saving" healthcare development? Are you sure you want to list this under the positives?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Will allow me to pursue my passion, instead of keep a shit job, out of fear.

So, you'll be subsidized doing something that won't pay for your expenses? Is that what you're saying?

• John Doe
    John Doe

I might actually go to the doctor without fear of finding something serious.

Money is your only fear when having a health checkup?

• John Doe
    John Doe

I appreciate your facade of being fair and balanced, but come on now, after reading your cons, do you really think you are being fair and balanced?

• watson
    watson

Good point. Will Universal Healthcare take away research and development? Will the government do away with it? Or will they invest in it to save money in the long run?

• watson
    watson

Not trying to be fair and balanced JD. I really do like the idea of Universal Health Care. I listed some of my emotional points, and although they may be simplistic, I don't think I am the only one that sees these.

Not clear on the "subsidizing" question JD.

The fear of finding something serious does come from the money issue, yes. Right now, I can only afford a $5000 deductable, with max $15,000 out of pocket. That's just the way it is. I'm probably not alone on something like this.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I would like to see a figure of how much r & d is performed by drug companies every year. I know it ranges in the billions.

As a side point, most major drug companies have free or reduced cost charity medicine for poor people with no insurance. A quick internet search will turn such programs up. Lilly is a major company of which I have personal knowledge of such a program.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Not clear on the "subsidizing" question JD.

It means you'll take a job that does not allow you to afford health insurance, which must then in turn be paid by others in society. Is that not what you were getting at?

• watson
    watson

I don't think of myself as poor. That's the problem. What I have is tied up in retirement funds.....about half what they were a year ago, and I own my home. Have tried to save and invest for the future when I won't be able to compete in the secular work world...that time will come. Always responsible, etc., blah, blah, blah...but if I get really sick, I might have to kiss it all goodbye, and then the government, you and me, will have to pick up the cost anyway. No?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit