So what's wrong with being a "Cult"?

by The Berean 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Heaven
    Heaven

Ridiculous, your daft comment screams overreaction. I leave my kids with jw family lots of times. There is no "mind control" "mental illness" or "pedophillia" anywhere to be seen.

fleaman uk ... I am glad your kids have not yet been negatively affected by your JW family. Do you know if they have pedophiles in their congregation? They probably don't even know.

My experience has been a different one than yours. My father associated and gave business to a known pedophile in his congregation (this just creeps me out...sorry... that's just me I guess).

My father left my mother with a broken hip for over 12 hours before calling me to tell me "there's something wrong with your mother". After he told me what happened I immediately told him to call 911. He was humming and hawing. I asked him did he want me to call. I told him straight off "Dad, something is major league wrong here. She's broken something. She's gone into shock." He was worried about how the ambulance attendants would be able to get into the house (it was a bit muddly outside). That was his excuse for not calling. My parents "don't have faith in doctors". They weren't like that before signing up to the cult.

These are just 2 examples. I have more.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

WTWizard,

You give examples of things with a "cult" following... certainly there is nothing wrong with people who are/were fans of Minidisc (like me!), fans of a particular movie, etc. That's certainly not the type of "cult" we are talking about here.

Kevin Trudeau, though? Seriously? He is a scam artist. A convicted felon. He has been sued and fined numerous times for breaking the law. He is currently banned from even being in infomercials. How anyone can still put stock in his bullshit is beyond me.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Some cults are more harmful than others, true, but hey, if you need some egotistical control freak to do your thinking for you, be my guest.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00
    My father left my mother with a broken hip for over 12 hours before calling me to tell me "there's something wrong with your mother". After he told me what happened I immediately told him to call 911. He was humming and hawing. I asked him did he want me to call. I told him straight off "Dad, something is major league wrong here. She's broken something. She's gone into shock." He was worried about how the ambulance attendants would be able to get into the house (it was a bit muddly outside).

As sad as this is, I can relate to this experience. Something like this happened to some people I know. The wife slips and falls in a fast-food restaurant. What do they do? Fill out an "accident report" and then the husband DOESN'T take her to the hospital to see if anything is wrong with her, despite the fact that she is in pain and complaining. Idiots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit