Do you think it merely odd or impossible for a person to profess to be a Christian Agnostic?

by gubberningbody 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Think it through.

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

It's possible to be a cultural Christian who's also an Agnostic.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

What that person thinks they mean by that term may not be what the literal definition suggests, in which case they need to follow up with an explanation or decide on a new lable. On the other hand, they may be a moron. I have seen someone make a good argument for why they are an atheistic deist.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

How does someone like me reconcile being brought up in a predominately Christian nation (lets keep the politics out of that one shall we?), whose ethics were taught through this world view, who no longer believes in the Christian god, yet still believes in most of the ethics? (for the sake of discussion, lets not get off on a tangent on the source of ethics, most religions have them too)

Some are "Catholic" or "Jewish", and others are "Catholic" or "Jewish".

I bet that term is a bit grating to Christian theists, granted. I also think it has some merit in that it describes people who are cultural Christians, not religious ones..

• steve2
    steve2

For me, it's a case of once bitten, twice shy. I spent the first 3 decades of my life as a JW convinced that I was doing God's will. My level of conviction counted for absolutely nothing in the end because I realized it was based on my obviously incorrect understnading at that time.

Same now: I would never presume that God does or does not exist because level of conviction upon which such a belief is based would have absolutely no bearing on whether that belief was true or not. For me, given my upbringing, I feel an affinity towards Christianity - but I am also agnostic in outlook. The two - Christianity and agnosticism make sense for me - but, honestly, I cannot speak more generally than my own experience.

• Robdar
    Robdar

IMO, it's unusual but not immpossible. It might even be a good thing.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I think most religionists are agnostic, although it would be rare to find one professing to be such.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

These discussions are tough, because almost all arguments are semantical in nature to begin with, and this thread is nothing if not about the semantical meanings and intermingling of two words: "Christian" and "Agnostic".

I personally have a hard time with labelling people, because it limits, you, me, and how I see you. I would rather you just call yourself whatever you want, put it on your business card, let me know, and I will designate you as you wish.... :)

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I personally have a hard time with labelling people, because it limits, you, me, and how I see you.

It's only a limitation if it's inaccurate.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Agreed Doe.... But labels, I am sick of them... Too much pigeon holing, not enough getting to know a person and what makes them tick....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit