Vegans and no animal fat ....please explain...I "ain't" gettin it...

by restrangled 11 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I just made a delicious batch of egg salad to have on seeded rye bread, with lettuce and tomato.

It was made from "vegetarian eggs" at 3.50 a dozen. Free range, no chemicals, no hormones, and absoutley no animal protien food.

I used lowfat mayo, hot dijon mustard, onions and green pepper , seasalt and pepper. It tastes great, but refused by Mr. "too much saturated fat"

Now let me get this straight.......

My Mom, inlaws, etc., are still alive at 70 to 90 years after being raised on farms eating butter, cream, pork and beef non-stop. None of them have had a stroke or heart attack.

Their brains are still in tact, they are not suffering from weak bones, and few if any are on meds. A few have suffered through cancer, recovered, and did not bother with chemo or radiation.

Can some one please expain this to me ? I am tired carefully cooking fat free.......r.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Anecdotes aren't nearly as strong evidence as massive studies will millions of participants, which show the benefits of certain diets.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Genes play a huge part in longevity. I say moderation in all things, but I think sugar is a bigger culprit than butter and meat. I eat very few sweets and watch for hidden sugar.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Go farming, work hard, play hard, grow your own vegetables and meat, don't buy anything from a supermarket that they couldn't/wouldn't buy and you should enjoy similar health.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Dr Colin Campbell speaks about his research:

Colin Campbell speaks at GRCC Wellness Forum

Keep in mind that the animal products of modern "factory farms" have little in common with the old fashioned farming methods of fifty years ago. There are other factors involved too, like average portion sizes, food preparation methods, environmental toxins, etc.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Current thinking, is that the fat to fear is saturated. One boiled egg has about 2 grams of sat fat. They recommend something like no more than 20 grams for a 2000 calorie a day diet, which is probably low for an active young man.

What that translates into as far as your guys egg salad, I dunno

• nelly136
    nelly136

sounds like a very tasty and expensive but wasted exercise in trying to cater for someones fad dietary requirements. if your sons a vegan he wouldnt be eating eggs vegetarian approved or otherwise.

if the person with the dietary requirements is that fussy maybe its time they took care of their own shopping and preperation of meals. if theyre that serious about their 'special' diet theyd be quite happy to take care of it themself and not expect someone else to do it for them.

if the chickens are truly free range and running around outside they'll be eating slugs worms (meat) anyways its part of their natural diet if theyre out in the wilds

http://www.lionsgrip.com/chickens.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan a real vegan wouldnt eat eggs or any animal product and wouldnt wear any animal product either, no leather trainers jackets etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian a vegetarian has a bit more food choice

• nelly136
    nelly136

i think maybe as they say over here....'he's pulling your plonka' just a little youre trying your best to meet him halfway but nothing you do is quite good enough.but in the meantime hes getting lots of special attention while you wear yourself out and end up pulling your hair out and spend extra on shopping.

of course i could be wrong. but at the very least he could give you a list of nono food.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was raised in a family where:

1. We ate what was put in front of us without complaint.
    2. We didn't eat.
    3. A person who was paying his own way had the right to choose his own menu provided he took on the responsibility of procuring and preparing his own damn meals without imposing himself on others.

I think someone needs a smack upside the head. When someone makes choices they shouldn't try to thrust the responsibility on others. Tell him to stop acting like a spoiled brat.

W

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I have to agree with some of the comments above. You are trying too hard to please him. Fix what you normally would, the way you always have, for yourself and everyone else in the family. On the side, make some basic rice and beans. With the right seasonings rice and beans can be tasty. He can eat as much rice and beans as he wants as a vegan and suffer no ill effects. If you also make leafy green salads, leave the dressings off, and he can eat all the leafy greens he wants as a vegan and add his choice of non-dairy dressings. If he wants expensive prepared vegan foods, he can buy them himself with his own money. Eating vegan can be simple and inexpensive (and healthy - see the video above). There's no need for you to go to all kinds of trouble over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit