When Prophesy Fails - Why they stay

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    what prophecy has failed? armageddon and Jesus coming are still pending and on God's timetable but we have to be ready......Reniaa

Among others.."The Generation of 1914 will not pass away."

Your insistance on Continuously playing the Ass is irritating..

.......................OUTLAW

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Since JWs truly believed the 1975 prediction they were strongly motivated to act on those beliefs. The prediction was extremely explicit regarding 1975. The world governments would turn on Jehovah’s people and the Great Persecution would begin. The message they delivered to people would no longer be a message of hope but rather a message of doom and destruction. The world for Jehovah’s Witnesses would change drastically.

But nothing happened. The message JWs gave was the same. Hope could be found only within the JWs. The nations did not collapse. They didn’t turn on JWs. Persecution didn’t begin. Nothing changed. Nothing.

So a prediction was made that included many very specific details. And none of them occurred. The evidence was diametrically opposed to the prediction. The world went on as usual.

I remember going out in service in 1974 and early 1975. It was nothing to have 50 or 60 for field service on Saturday or even Sunday afternoon after the meeting. People really believed The End was coming in October 1975.

And afterward, after a third of the congregation had left over the next 2 or 3 years, there was all sorts of talk about the necessity of waiting. I remember a talk by the CO (or DO, I don't remember now) likening the late 70's to the 3 years after the Romans had encircled Jerusalem and suddenly left. Christians had supposedly left the city but after a few years some had returned.

Oh we can't be like that brothers and sisters!! We must wait on Jehovah!

30+ years later not only are Jehovah's Witnesses not talking that way, there is no more talk of "waiting on Jehovah", they completely deny 1975 was ever prophesied as the date of Armageddon.

Still I'm intrigued by your thread LL. I remember when I first had doubts and I was determined to the point of obsession to find out whether Jehovah's Witnesses was The Truth or not. I guess I'm a strange person, I've been told so often enough, but I don't remember holding on to my beliefs stronger when doubts cropped up. I remember asking questions, questions that were in my mind, and being stunned that no one could answer them.

Mostly I was put down, it was my fault for lacking faith, or I was ignored. That in itself did a lot toward moving me out. I'm just saying this about myself as I'm trying to relate to this article you posted. I don't doubt its accuracy, only that it didn't really apply to me. But then, as I say, I'm kind of strange.

• r51785
    r51785

Jeff, you are a false prophet. Tiger didn't win the PGA (I think this may be one of the signs of the end, right up there with the Cubs winning the World Series). Anyway do read "1984" along with Barbara Tuchman's book "A Distant Mirror."

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

r51785

Tell me about it! Tiger singed at least 10 birdie putts on the outside of the cups. He should have shot a 62 today, but I think he had over 30 putts!

Finally, the sign of the son of man! Bring Armageddon on!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I would say probably the Witness needs it to be the truth, regardless of evidence to the contrary such as false prophecy.

• glenster
    glenster

Since they wouldn't have to disregard Christianity but only the false claims
    of exclusiveness of a few men?

Regarding the JWs leaders' old false claims of exclusiveness--"They don't teach
    that anymore," regarding some of their current false claims of exclusiveness
    because of the other ones they don't know about--"where else would I find the
    truth about those?", and regarding those or even all of their current false
    claims of exclusiveness because they don't want to be shunned by their friends
    and family...
    ...and possibly a family member has a big inheritance for them, or someone
    didn't explain it to them very well, or they popped a membrane, or....

• the research lady
    the research lady

Hello! Lady Lee, thankyou for this post. Thank you for being a guest on our conference call on Saturday Aug. 15. The information you shared is so important to so many people who listened in as you explained your own background and how you too have been "touched by the tentacles of the Watchtower"! In view of this information that you posted I like to say that Jehovah's Witnesses "erase your past" "control your present" and "lie about your future". And, one of the reasons why so many stay in this cult even with its many failed prophicies is because of what is known as "sump cost". In other words, they have invested so many years of their lives that it is very scary to leave at this point. After all, what if the Watchtower is right. Although I myself was in this cult for nearly 50 years, I finally had enough and was not afraid to leave. I too, had much to lose as I have two daughters, their husbands, and my oldest grandson who are still Witnesses and who shun both myself and my husband "Kool Aid Man". But, since I am now a real Christian and have come to know who Jesus Christ really is, I am able to cope with these loses as I continue to pray for my children every day that one day they too will see the "real truth".(John 14:6).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit