What exactly IS 'Evil'?

by gubberningbody 42 Replies latest jw friends

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I've heard evil described as the absence of good, in the same way that darkness is the absence of light.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Ok, can anyone define it without embedding in it a lot of other questionable tripe - like scripture?

Probably not if you believe there is a God. That said, if you are an atheist you have some interesting questions to answer

Consider this definition for example

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evil

1 a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked <an evil impulse> b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>

Where does morality comes from and the notion of sin, wickedness and evil?

All the best,

Stephen

• Balsam
    Balsam

It is a common occurence that humans label anything they particularly fear or think is super bad as evil. So what is precieved as evil by one group is not evil by other groups. So evil is a perception and relative to indivuals or group opinion on evil.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I've heard evil described as the absence of good, in the same way that darkness is the absence of light

Genesis 1:4 2 Samuel 22:29 Isaiah 5:20 John 3:19 John 8:12 John 12:46 2 Corinthians 6:14 Ephesians 5:8 1 John 1:5

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

It is a common occurence that humans label anything they particularly fear or think is super bad as evil. So what is precieved as evil by one group is not evil by other groups. So evil is a perception and relative to indivuals or group opinion on evil.

Say a person fears being mugged or killed if they go to a certain area at night. Balsam, are you saying mugging and killing is not evil but only someone's perception?

All the best,

Stephen

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Balsam,

I agree evil is a perception, that is strickily human and very culturally biased.

For those that don't get what I mean let me explain:

A lion that has to fight other lions in order to eat and survive may kill a fellow lion,,, is the lion evil? Does the lion feel remorse over killing his fellow hunting companion? If we see a Lion eat a villager we in our minds formulate that it is evil,, but in the lions point of view,, he is just hungry and got to eat and there his next meal. POV is what makes something evil,, there is no evil out their just points of view which can be very biased in one direction or another.

• Balsam
    Balsam

The mugger or killer does not see their behavior as evil, they find pleasure from it. It is still a matter of perception depending on where your sympathies are.

At some point society dictates what are evil deeds. Other societys may not agree with how others decide what is evil. Do you see what I'm pointing out. Peoples religious beliefs play into percepts of evil too.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Sociological viewpoint: Anything that contributes to the break down of society or works against building it up.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Frankiespeakin,

Thanks my point exactly.

• oompa
    oompa

it is people who tell you who your friends can and cant be..........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit