evolutionary progression

by John Doe 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I think over the near term (say the next 40 years) we'll be using genomics and biotech to curb metabolical diseases and other genetic defects. We'll also be tinkering with boosting the limits of our current bodies, like stronger cartilage and slower aging in adulthood.

Then in the next century I can see people getting radical incorporating features from other animals to such an extent that humans will break off into different species.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't think it will take that long.

BTS

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

When the comet strikes earth or man blows himself up (nothing to do with Armageddon) there will be varmints hiding in the basements and underbrush that will start the next evolution to something similar but different. It may not even be as advanced as man was.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

If you take a look at a recent photo of a GB member you'll see that we might reverting back to being apes again.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Almighty Homer, is that an Austrolopithecine reconstruction?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Hell, I just be happy with an insulin delivery system that monitors blood glucose and insulin input electronically and constantly.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

BTS

Why did I just ball park 40 yrs? Bureaucracy.

There's some medical applications happening now thats true. I know there are studies trying to push and amplify the immune system, and am aware of several candidate genes for longevity. I know about the attempted use of adenoviruses with recombinant DNA to help cystic fibrosis, but the benefits of that particular therapy were not long term since the immune system were wiping out the infected cells. Each therapy then can reasonably be expected to have smaller challenges that would take a couple more years to circumvent. So just a few years if it was just about technology and discovery. But of course you know its not just that.

Down with the pharmaceutical companies! I'm really only angry with them because they still haven't found the magic pill I need for ....well I'll stop before I give TMI.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Perhaps, we should get back a diet closer to the paleolithic, that's the diet that we evolved on. Following that diet would prevent a lot of chronic diseases. It's actually not that difficult balance our diets a bit.

As it is, our evolution is actually falling behind, ie, our bodies are not adapting to our present diets and life styles. If we are going to evolve, that would be a priority, imo. As far as doing it ourselves, through genetic tinkering, this is still in it's infancy, if that. At this point in time, genetic reprogramming is like opening the hood on the car and hitting stuff w a hammer. It might improve something, bur it will likely do some harm somewhere. It has a really long way to go. However, i agree that it has a lot of potential.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit