You're Not the Only One Whose Made Mistakes.....

by AllTimeJeff 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

One of my favorite singers is Billy Joel, and his song, "You're Only Human" has one key verse that is as good as anything Solomon ever put up for public consumption.

"You're not the only one whose made mistakes
    But they're the only things, that you can truly call your own"

One of the key (almost obsessive) focuses of Jehovah's Witnesses is sin. And their definitions of sin. The sad side effects of dwelling on ones personal sin is that of low self esteem, extreme guilt over things one has no control over, and a general depression that can come over you if you think that the only thing you are identified with is what you do wrong.

Because this could take a theological slant (i.e. sin needs a sacrifice of Jesus, etc etc etc) I won't go down that road. Suffice to say, we all have our personal beliefs on that, which isn't my point in writing.

But to take a different view of the matter, such an abnormal focus of "sin" and "sinners" is to take a negative point of view as to our life. We then turn into a person who looks in the mirror, and see's what we are not, what we didn't do, should have done, and our life becomes a skipping CD of reliving moments that we may never really had control of in the first place.

Many who leave JW's like myself resign. Others however are disfellowshipped because of violating JW law. They "sin", become "sinners", and leave. Later on, they might learn that though they still believed that JW's had the truth at the time of their disfellowshipping, their being in a disfellowshipped state allowed them to research and find out the real truth about Jehovah's Witnesses.

Thus, there are 2 general types of JW exits. The resignation/walk aways. And the kick out. It is to those kicked out and disfellowshipped that I write this today. (disclaimer: I just mean for that to be loose and general... I know many leave under weird circumstances that you couldn't possibly categorize....)

The mindset that is created by a focus on what you are not, or have failed on in life, I think impedes progress. Is it necesarry to view all mistakes as sin?

In getting to know so many who have left, for their own reasons, I find that it is impossible to exit this JW cult without making mistakes. The idea that it was sin that caused you to leave in the first place only makes things worse.

In addition, is it a sin (to beat yourself up for) or a mistake? (from which you can learn from?)

Your own mistakes.. They suck. I know. I hate mine like crazy. But here is the good news, if you can do this.... They are your own mistakes to learn from.

Why not own that? Why not own who you are? Bad decisions, while striving to avoid repeats, can provide a glimpse into who we are, and where to go next.

Dont sweat the small stuff. Don't beat yourself over what you cannot change. Accept what you did, who you are, and that you can do at least something, no matter how small, to make the next hour, and the next day, better. You're not the only one whose made mistakes, but they're the only things that you can truly call your own.

And if you do feel bad, here is another verse from that song that I love. Hey, lets not quit! Fight! Always fight!!!!!

"Well you've been keeping to yourself these days
    Cause you're thinking everything's gone wrong
    Sometimes you just want to lay down and die
    That emotion can be so strong
    But hold on
    Till that ol second wind comes along."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ATJ.. You missed a group..The ones that just walk away..

I`m a Dub Kid,a Really old Dub Kid..LOL!!..

I`m not DF..

I did`nt Resign..

I just walked away..I still paid..

................OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Sorry Outlaw, good point. I hate generalizing, its necessary to write a blog, but it misses people. (unintentionally...)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ATJ..

It`s all good Bud!!

We don`t always pick up on everything,all at once..

We are all learning together..

Theres something nice,about that acknowledgement..

We are not alone..

We have each other..

....................OUTLAW

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Great post, ATJ. I am dealing with a situation involving one of my (believing JW) friends who's on a path toward personal happiness but will probably get herself df'd in the process. She's riddled with guilt and having a really difficult time. I want to scream out that it's all BS but not sure if she will pursue her own happiness or get sucked back into the cult so I have to walk a fine line.

• brinjen
    brinjen

That song stands out for me too as I remember it being trashed once during a DC. The speaker used it as an example of "wordly thinking" that it's ok to make mistakes and "do what you want". Something tells me he failed to get the gist of the song.

It's one of my personal favourites too and for the same reasons (in fact, when I read the title on the Active Topics page, it was Joel's voice singing that line that immediately came up in my mind). As I understand, Billy Joel himself tried to commit suicide on a couple of occasions.

Your mistakes are really all that you can truly call your own. You made them, and as much as you hate them, the lessons learned in the process are invaluable and are something that can be used to make yourself a better person... which is what we're all striving to be in the first place.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Jeff,

JWs live in fear. I have no fear of punishment as all my wrongs have been dealt with, past, present and future.

1 John 4:18 (New International Version)

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

JWs are under condemnation because they are not "in Christ". I asked two JWs if they were "in Christ". They looked at me blankly. Strange how that is as the NT mentions being "in Christ" around 100 times!

Romans 8 (New International Version)
    Life Through the Spirit

1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, [ a ] 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, [ b ] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. [ c ] And so he condemned sin in sinful man, [ d ] 4 in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind of sinful man [ e ] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7 the sinful mind [ f ] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. [ g ] And by him we cry, "Abba, [ h ] Father." 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

JWs do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them. They say only the "annointed" have the Spirit. Clearly, according to Romans 8 they are under the curse of the law and dead in their sins, with only the hope of the WT as their mediator :(

All the best,

Stephen

• dinah
    dinah

Good stuff, Jeff.

I was a "kicked out" Now that 20 years have gone by, I can see I wanted out but couldn't walk away. Mother was very controlling and adamant that I grow up and "stay faithful to Jehovah". I'm sure had I just tried to quit I would've been hounded and guilted into going back. My answer was to stay in trouble until they got fed up with my rebellious ass and kicked me out. I was reproved twice (publicly no less, once for fornication so the whole congregation got to hear about what I had been up to) before they finally df'd me. At least I'm not a quitter, huh? If at first you don't succeed, keep on sinning to beat the band!

I absolutely hated being a Jehovah's Witness. Hated it! I can remember seriously contemplating suicide at age 12. I realized I didn't want to live like that, but also didn't want God to kill me in an earthquake or something. I suppose I wanted death on my own terms. Thank God, I'm a big chicken!

Hating to be a Witness must have meant I didn't love God and he sure as heck didn't love me, right? Problem was, my body left but my mind stayed for almost 15 more years. The guilt and fear stayed with me. I did stupid things, really stupid things, like driving home and not even remembering how I got there when I woke up the next day. I really lived like there was no tomorrow, because in my heart I didn't believe there would be a tomorrow (or at least probably not another two years--does that ring a bell with anyone?)

That religion forces us to focus on our faults and mistakes.......we have faults, we screw up. Evidently, we need the Organization to guide our steps because we're too stupid to choose our own paths. Five meetings a week to tell us how terrible we were, how we didn't put the Kingdom first, we weren't doing enough--it went on and on and on.

Thank the FSM I'm free.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    I absolutely hated being a Jehovah's Witness. Hated it! I can remember seriously contemplating suicide at age 12. I realized I didn't want to live like that, but also didn't want God to kill me in an earthquake or something.

Dinah,

I really relate to this. I didn't exactly seriously contemplate suicide but I know when I was 15 I left because I had to. I couldn't survive anymore going to those meetings and being around those zombie people. I guess I was beginning to formulate the idea of suicide somewhere in the back of my mind. I could not live the life that the JWs were pushing me toward. Whatever I said to my parents, they seemed to get that I couldn't do it anymore. I don't remember the details of my pronouncement to them that I was through. It was extremely emotional and loud. They never made me go to another meeting. They knew I was out for good. I do not know to this day what their personal thoughts were on the JWs at that time. We never talked about it again.

I only dealt with the guilt and fear for maybe another 2 1/2 years. That was when September 1975 came and went. I then knew without any doubt in my mind that everything I had been taught was total lies. I do know what you mean about living like there was no tomorrow. That's what I did for those 2 1/2 years also. After that, I now realize that I was angry, ANGRY, ANGRY! I am only just now looking back on that and acknowledging my feelings. My childhood and adolescence were a big lie. Everything I was taught was garbage. I was never close to my parents after that. I didn't trust them.

Five meetings a week to tell us how terrible we were, how we didn't put the Kingdom first, we weren't doing enough--it went on and on and on.

Yes, that's the way it was for me. My whole life up to age 15. It's really hard to get out from under that cloud of negativity that you are completely bombarded with from birth. I think I am finally coming out from that cloud because I am looking back and seeing what was done to me for the first time. It didn't have to take so long but I just refused to look back for so many years.

Thanks to this board for helping me.

• Mary
    Mary
    extreme guilt over things one has no control over, and a general depression that can come over you if you think that the only thing you are identified with is what you do wrong.

This is so true. I was talking to my JW sister last night about the blood doctrine again. My b-i-l had a transfusion yesterday and of course as fate would have it, they nearly got 'caught' by a Dub who works there. Even though I've been able to reason with them and show them that there is no biblical support for the Society's ban on transfusions, they still felt incredibly guilty after he had had the transfusion, because of course, they've been taught from birth that it is wrong, wrong, wrong to accept a BT and that you should just let yourself die instead.

This religion----along with other high control groups---exist by means of keeping people feeling 'guilty' over things which they have no reason to feel guilty about. Every Witness is taught that if you make mistakes, you have to confess your sins and beg for forgiveness. Yet the Governing Body members do not lead by example, because no matter how many mistakes they've made as a body and no matter how many thousands of lives they've destroyed, they've never apologized for anything. I guess as 'Christ's brethren', they're exempt. Smileys

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit