1918 ZG March 1, 1918 Watchtower Special Edition -- PDF

by cabasilas 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

What were Jehovah's Witnesses (then known as the International Bible Students with J.F. Rutherford as their president) doing in the Spring of 1918? What did they believe?

This is important because today's Organization states that momentous events were happening in the Spring of 1918. For example:

May 1 1993 Watchtower p. 15

First, though, these anointed Christians needed cleansing. As Malachi 3:1-5 had foretold, Jehovah God and his “messenger of the covenant,” Jesus Christ, came to inspect the spiritual temple in the spring of 1918. Judgment was to begin with “the house of God.” (1 Peter 4:17) Malachi 3:3 foretold: “He [Jehovah] must sit as a refiner and cleanser of silver and must cleanse the sons of Levi; and he must clarify them like gold and like silver.” It was a period of refining and cleansing.
    Passing through this judgment, which climaxed in 1918, the remnant of the slave class was cleansed from worldly and religious defilement. Why did Jehovah cleanse them? Because his spiritual temple was involved. This is the templelike arrangement for worshiping Jehovah on the basis of the propitiatory sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Jehovah wanted his temple to be in a clean condition so that when large numbers of worshipers with earthly hopes were brought there, they would find a place where his universal sovereignty is respected, where his divine name is sanctified, and where his righteous laws are obeyed. Thus, they would appreciate Jehovah and join in making known his grand purposes.

Revelation -- Its Grand Climax At Hand! p. 30

Thus, when the Lord’s day dawned in October 1914, there were still true Christians on earth. (Revelation 1:10) It appears that Jehovah came to his spiritual temple for judgment about three and a half years later, in 1918, accompanied by Jesus as his “messenger of the covenant.” (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 13:47-50) It was time for the Master to reject finally the false Christians and to appoint ‘the faithful and discreet slave over all his belongings.’—Matthew 7:22, 23; 24:45-47.

It was also time for this slave to give special attention to the things written in Jesus’ messages to the seven congregations, as we see from what is stated therein. For example, Jesus refers to his coming to judge the congregations, which judgment began in 1918.

On March 1, 1918, a special issue of The Watch Tower was published. It was a special edition of the book The Finished Mystery with some added material considering the book of Daniel. It was referred to as the ZG. Z stood for "Zion's Watch Tower" and G stood for the 7th volume of Studies in the Scriptures. Only a few copies of this magazine were circulated in 1918 due to the restrictions that were put upon the movement by U.S. Federal authorities. After World War I, many thousands of copies of this magazine were distributed by members of the International Bible Students Association.

For those interested, a PDF of this rare Watch Tower magazine is now available. It is available in two versions. The first one contains the black cover that was put over the regular magazine cover. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jz4te3

The second version does not have the black cover and just has the normal cover used for Watchtowers at that time. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=81855274241d40c99584e5ec3c7a3a74

Both files are about 71 MB and are bookmarked and fully searchable.

I have to thank some helpers who helped me ascertain that I had all the correct pages for this file. The paper my copy was printed on was highly acidic and extremely brittle. When I obtained it, it was missing a few pages. So, these helpers scanned a few pages from their copies and helped me make sure I had the correct pagination for this file. I made the choice to do a color scan for now and hope eventually to complete a black and white scan later. I could not have done this file without their help.

So, if you want to research what the members of the IBSA under Rutherford were teaching and doing at the Spring of 1918 when they were supposedly under special judgement by God, here's your chance. This magazine comes from the Spring of 1918 and is fully searchable and indexed. This is perhaps one of the most famous single Watchtower issues ever published and represents a considerable amount of JW/Bible Student history.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Thank you for this rare file! Beautiful work you have done here cabasilas!

Many thanks!

Cheers! Atlantis!

• lescopains
    lescopains

Merci beaucoup Cabasilas

Je comprends l'Immensité de ton travail que représente le scannage et la présentation de ces publications quasiment inconnues des témoins de Jéhovah du 21 ème siècle et qui les éclaireraient un peu plus sur l'organisation et son histoire mouvementée et pas si pures qu'ils la croient.

lescopains

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

A superb job, cabasilas!

The color version is great. I'm also glad that you were able to (by the looks of it) find other copies of pages that were in better condition than mine. Thank you so much for scanning this before the ZGs all crumbled away to dust.

• undercover
    undercover

Wow...I've never seen this...

Thanks to everyone involved

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Atlantis, Lescopains, AnnOMaly and Undercover,

You're welcome! And, thanks again, Ann for your help. The black cover for the ZG is priceless with its comment that the magazine is "worth its weight in gold"!

I hope to complete a black and white version of the ZG and will include more of your scans in that one!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Glad to be of help. It's an important document to archive.

The top right corner of the title page caught my attention:

"Notice to reader: When you finish reading this magazine place a one-cent stamp on this notice, hand same(?) to any postal employee and it will be placed in the hands of our soldiers and sailors at the front. No wrapping - no address - A.S. Burleson, Postmaster General."

Any historians out there? I wonder if this was common practice to pass on second-hand religious and other journals to the soldiers serving on the front line. Or was this a special arrangement instigated by the Bible Students? It's curious that a magazine with anti-war rhetoric (even though it had the worst 'seditious' passages omitted) be passed on to those fighting on the front line.

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

Great pdf. Thanks. It has some other pictures than the regular Finished Mysteries and even others than the ones like the 1918 red pocked edition and the 850.000 winged globe edition which do have many extra pictures like those of the seven messengers and others.

"When Pastor Russell was with us he gave direction that the BIBLE STUDENTS MANUAL should be prepared by Clayton J. Woodworth, also of Scranton, Pa. This MANUAL was published by this Society, and has proven a great blessing too the household of faith. preparation of this MANUAL required a critical exammation of everything Pastor Russell had written; and thus Brother Woodworth was enabled to become more familiar, probably, than anyone else.with the explanation of the Scriptures which had been given by Brother. Russell. In this manner the Lord seemed to have qualified him for some special work. With the "key" which Brother RusseIl as the Lord's servant, had placed in his hands, faith, and more courage to the stronger ones. We believe Brother Woodworth, by the Lord's grace, has been enabled to bring together everything. that Brother Russell wrote on Revelation, and to explain and harmonize other parts of that book with the divine plan; also, to treat similarly the Song of Solomon."

"This, Scripture Studies, Vol. VII, is the final message of the true church of God"

Is there a pdf of the Bible Student Manual?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Thanks everyone for all the hard work in making these pdfs!

• lescopains
    lescopains

Cabasilas

Je puis 'envoyer si tu le désires les volumes version pdf des livres et brochures dont je possède les originaux ou pour certains des copies d'originaux - Il s'agit notamment des livres que Charles Chasson à mis en ligne via tj encyclopédie période Rutherford et son successeur direct soit jusqu'à 1969

Le tout est sur DVD - Je les offre a la condition que quiconque les utilise n'en retire jamais un avantage financier quelconque et je ne connais pas les finesses du Web pour les mettre en ligne alors si tu peux en faire un bon usage dis moi où les expédier .

lescopains

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit