230 MPG? Really?

by AK - Jeff 27 Replies latest social current

• JWoods
    JWoods
    In forty years, the average Internal Combustion engines being produced will be 50% more efficient than the average IC engine is today.

Battery chargers? In a sense, that is pretty much what they are used for today - except for those rare jumper cable moments.

Forty years? In forty years, most owners of the twelve cylinder Ferrari will have joined the Commandetore in the afterlife. With or without the blessings of the Pope, the Kyoto Accord (a very efficient Japanese car, BTW), or Al Gore.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

There are already some fuel efficient cars on American roads. Between 2000 and 2005 I owned a Toyota Echo that cost approximately $12,000 to buy new, not including finance charges. It regularly exceeded 40 miles per gallon in every day driving and even got 50 miles per gallon on long road trips. I put 130,000 trouble-free miles on that car. Assuming an average price of $2 a gallon for gas in the five years that I owned it, I probably spent less than $6500 on fuel.

I'm sure the new electric vehicles will be technological works of wonder, but try getting them serviced when things inevitably start to go wrong. Who is going to be able to afford these new electrics and hybrids? Why can't they instead focus on being dirt cheap and reliable like the Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas back in the 70s?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Why can't they instead focus on being dirt cheap and reliable like the Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas back in the 70s?

Because Obama gave all those owners $4500 each to have their cars crushed. They are now saving the whales by driving the Prius.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Electric vehicles will be more reliable than IC vehicles. What's more likely to fire up and work every day - day in - day out, your chainsaw, or your washing machine?

The only somewhat "iffy" part of electric vehicle technology is the electricity storage problem, and that's getting better by the minute.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Electric vehicles will be more reliable than IC vehicles. What's more likely to fire up and work every day - day in - day out, your chainsaw, or your washing machine?

But which is more useful in a street fight?

• JWoods
    JWoods

BTW - this thread is worthless without pictures. How does one go about posting a JPG?

• undercover
    undercover

James, I found the best way to host the photos at a website like photobucket and then you can click on the little photo icon above (the reply box, that is) and link to the photo you want to share.

That's layman's terms 'cause I'm not a 'puter geek...

• undercover

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit