230 MPG? Really?

by AK - Jeff 27 Replies latest social current

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f48x9baSuF0&feature=player_embedded

Nissan just beat GM, and it will only cost you $25,000.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "Regardless, I still think it is a good thing. I would buy one if they would put a bigger battery in it so I could go close to 100mph on a charge --and still be inexpensive enough to justify it."

There will probably be those who purchase them (like the engineers who purchased the Prius-es) that will figure out a way to add batteries to the vehicle - to extend its' range. Of course - this will void any warranty...

They also fail to mention whether - or not - these vehicles have air-conditioning. Many of the 'gee-whiz' electrics that come out seem to forget the A/C. Here is South Texas - A/C is a must-have - and not an option.

If you want to spend $30 - $40k for an electric vehicle... you might also consider the Aptera. It is 100% electric - gets about 100 miles on just batteries. I also believe it has A/C - which is unusual for an electric. Downside - it's only a 2-seater.

http://www.aptera.com/

Regards,

Jim TX

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php

Or for just another $9,000 over GM's price and you can buy this beauty made by Tesla Motors.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yes - the Tesla has come way down in price now - and very gorgeous indeed!

Jeff

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I'm buying one of the Tesla's, no doubt about it. GM can kiss my Irish ass!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Regardless, I still think it is a good thing. I would buy one if they would put a bigger battery in it so I could go close to 100mph on a charge --and still be inexpensive enough to justify it.
    BTS

100 MILES, or 100mph, BTS? It probably could do near 100mph for about a mile or so the way it is. The problem with these is always range. The Tesla needed to be TRAILERED the 25 or so miles to the track for the car magazine tests so the batteries would be full to get the 0-60 and 0-100 numbers. It was about shot after doing this a couple of times. That's the other big electric car range problem. Gas cars get faster until you run out of gas (lighter weight, less gas in tank). Electric cars get slower every time you push on the gas.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "100 MILES, or 100mph, BTS?..."

I'm pretty sure he meant 100 miles - as in range of travel. I don't know where he is - but here in South Texas, it isn't uncommon to have to drive close to 50 miles to get to work. (That's 100 miles round-trip.)

So - if you want to use an electric vehicle - one that is 100% electric - your choices are limited.

I think that everyone already knows that electrics can smoke tires on the drag racetrack... well... at least once - before their batteries are flat.

Regards,

Jim TX

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Oops. I meant miles. Fat fingered that one. Electric cars are actually capable of blowing the doors off IC powered units with similar horsepower ratings. Instant torque and flat powerbands.

BTS

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Oops. I meant miles. Fat fingered that one. Electric cars are actually capable of blowing the doors off IC powered units with similar horsepower ratings. Instant torque and flat powerbands.
    BTS

And just think how exciting the Formula One Electric pit stops would be - overnight charge, no danger of fire, plenty of time for driver to re-acquaint himself with the girlfriends, etc. However, as a long time Porsche owner - it should be remembered that one of the first Porsche cars was an electric, and that it briefly held the land speed record back about the turn of the century (the last century).

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

In forty years, the average Internal Combustion engines being produced will be 50% more efficient than the average IC engine is today. This efficiency will be achieved via relatively small technological advances and largely by running the engines at their most efficient power point.

Oh, and in 40 years? The only thing IC engines will be used for is battery chargers ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit