Are You Still 'Politically Neutral'?

by leavingwt 47 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I've come almost full circle...

At the height of my dubdum, I was pretty neutral. Oh, I had opinions but never really took the time to learn the issues or take enough interest to consider myself left-leaning or right-leaning. I kept my opinions to myself, knowing that "we" weren't even supposed to have an opinion. Which is a good thing since I was ill informed.

Once I considered myself free of the WT influence I took an interest in politics. I expressed opinions more freely and was able to carry on conversations having done more research on the issues. I even kept up with local politics better. I attended some city council meetings, took sides on local issues and spoke up when I felt the need to do so.

Over the last two or three years though, I lost interest again. Or maybe I just got it out of my system. I got to join in something that previously I was not allowed to. After joining in for awhile, I kinda got tired of the same old BS from most politicians. As much hope as one can have for their candidate, be it prez, mayor or dog catcher, there's only so much one person can do against a government out of control. I felt like I was spinning my wheels trying to be involved. I have hope for Obama as prez, but after the hoopla dies down, it's obvious that it's just business as usual.

Putting too much hope in politics is kinda like being a JW. Promises and lies, false hope and dissappointment. I don't waste anymore time or energy on it. I'm not really neutral, I just don't care anymore.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Very interesting comments, all of you. Thank you for the responses.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Wrong question. Ask how many have voted in an election.
    That is the true test.
    Catbert

Catbert -- Good question. I have been votings since last year.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

No. One of the first things I did when I turned 18 was register to vote and began voting. Part of the reason I was so eager was just rebellion against the JWs.

• JWoods
    JWoods

It is important to remember that Witnesses themselves were never neutral either.

For a long time, they predicted that Russia would win the cold war (King of the North, King of the South). Before that, they thought it would be Hitler.

They have long demonized the United Nations (before that League of Nations) as the Satanic institution. Later they joined it for political expediency to infiltrate hostile foreign lands.

They managed to get the main leadership thrown into jail circa WW1 simply by making anti-american, anti-government political rhetoric. And claimed it as bible prophecy!

They insisted on hardline political stands on the draft during WW2 and VietNam, refusing to allow consciencous objector status and forcing us into prison. They simultaneously let male Witnesses in Mexico "buy off" their draft status by bribery. BTW, in Mexico they avoided religious status to preserve property rights (pretending to be a charity educational org).

They forced thousands of innocents into beatings, humiliations, jail, even murders - in Malawi...over a stupid ID card.

They have entered a practical death match here in the U.S. as well as France over sales and income tax issues. Seem to have lost both.

They have taken issues like Door-to-Door without licenses, Blood Transfusions, and Flag Salute into the court system all the way to SCOTUS.

Pretty hard to say you are neutral after that history. By this logic, ACORN would also be merely a neutral community organization.

• chickpea
    chickpea

hand to god!
    as i was reading this thread
    an email alert popped up
    letting me know i had gotten
    a reply from our jr senator
    re: ENDA!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

NO!!.....I vote......I fly the Canadian Flag........And.....The WBT$ and I both own shares in Rand Cam!!..We profit from War!!...............Hopefully there will be a war today and the WBT$ and I can make some Money!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$........LOL!!...OUTLAW

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

OUTLAW -- You warmonger, you. LOL!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    OUTLAW -- You warmonger, you. LOL!

He is following the example of the great ancient Jewish war god.

• jefpainthorse
    jefpainthorse

I dont think I ever was... I just didnt vote.

My whole JW family seems to have some pretty vocal political opinions and dinner time was a forum for those to be aired.

(I grew up in a FDR -we survived the 30's- Union home too)

Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit