Has anyone had Lasik Surgery?

by homeschool 17 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I....don't... EEEEven wanna know what a microkeratome is. My eyes are so sensitive....

Your eyes are completely numbed during the procedure, so there is no pain. You do feel pressure of having the microkeratome device placed on your eye though. You are fully awake but it only takes a few minutes and the procedure is over.

The first night I did have some discomfort, but it wasn't that bad.

I think PRK is still sometimes used when your cornea is too thin to cut a flap, but the recovery time is longer with PRK. LASIK is generally the way to go.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well it's been 13 years, but nothing touched my eye. I just laid on the table and they swung the arm over my eye. All I saw was a flashing red light for about a minute in each eye and that was it. But like I say that was a long time ago so many LASIK is better nowadays over PRK.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I had Lasik some years ago and it was performed poorly by the doctor. I wanted to go to the best doctor in my area but they redirected me to another doctor who was a rank amateur. Back then there was only one size of laser which was too small for my bigger than average eyes, thus the doctor should have warned me that the glare effect would have been even worse than average. Also, you are supposed to keep your eyes perfectly still while the laser is operating but a lot of people get unconsciously nervous and tense and their eyes go upwards causing "decentration" with the after effect of having, permanently" double and or multiple vision. That is not too much of a problem for modern machines because they have a tracking device that automatically shuts off until your eyes are in alignment. My machine did not have that tracking device so now, especially at night time, I see multiple-8 or so-traffic lights.

In order to fix my eyes now I would need to have a cornea transplant due to the fact that I have had multiple operations (unsuccesful) in one eye and everytime you perform another operation your cornea gets thinner.

My suggestion is that you go to the best doctor in the field, even if you have to travel some, and ask questions about his machine as well as getting from the library any books on the subject.

If you are near to the Los Angeles area the best doctor, in the nation, who was part of the research team for Lasik, is Dr. Robert Maloney. Good luck and be careful.

villabolo

• homeschool
    homeschool

Well, thank you. That is a scary story. I have a doctor who has a great track record...my husband wants me to compare prices. ...still have to do that.

• villabolo
    villabolo

If I may also suggest. Do it one eye at a time.

• homeschool
    homeschool

Will definitely consider that, especially after your story...I guess I just need to have a heart to heart with whoever will be doing the procedure. Any other success/failure stories?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

It was the best money I ever spend. I had it done about 8 years ago. No problems no complications no discomfort at all and I don't get any halo's or glare issues and I was about flippin blind as a bat.

When mine got finished I was 20/15 and 20/25 so I had them hit the one eye again and now its 20/15 too I went and got an eye test last year and both eyes are still 20/15 so I'm happy about that.

My wife got it down 2 years ago and her eyesite is great too!

• misguided
    misguided

Had PRK done in May. It was a new clinic and it was competing for the business in town so the cost was $2550. It was the best money I ever spent. It hurt for the first few days. You become an eye-drop junkie for a few weeks. Vision is perfect, no halos, but a decrease in night vision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit