Tommy - The Who

by JeffT 10 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

Recent threads on works of fiction and music got me thinking about this one.

It was released during the summer between my senior year in high school and freshman year in college. I was four years from being absorbed into the borg. I loved the music and thought it was thematically deep. Sometime later, I began to think the it was a bit silly. A few years ago my daughter gave it to me on a CD and I've fallen in love with it again.

I've concluded that the whole pin ball thing is absurb - deliberately. It is a perfect allegory for whatever silliness somebody tells you leads to salvation, notably in our cases, selling watchtowers. I still have to crank up the volume when listening.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ohhhhh Tommy.............tommy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Acid Queen gave my Missus nightmares for weeks.

I have only ever seen it once. I should try to hire a copy this weekend while she is at the Arsembly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmlNIZ6D-bc

Cheers

Chris

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

On the sleeve for the Tommy CD I have Pete is quoted as saying that he intentionally wrote what he thought was a crass commercial song appealing to one of the backers just to make an artistic point; it ended being Pinball Wizard, a huge hit.

I love Pete, despite his egotism and arrogance, he is great writer and guitarist.

P

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

See me, feel me

Touch me, heal me.

I remember seeing a T-shirt with those lyrics on it, and I desperately wanted it. I was still a JW teen at the time, and my mother refused to let me have it :(

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Still like The Hawker even though not written by Townsend

You talk about your woman

I wish you could see my mine

• Dagney
    Dagney

Love it. Have seen it at least twice performed by The Who. I too am a Townsend/Who fan.

They were playing the vinyl on the local station yesterday.

• cameo-d
  • Steve_C
    Steve_C

Tommy is a classic; my understanding and appreciation of the religion/cult themes in the movie increased after leaving the JWs.

The recent post about "nobody really loves you unless they know and love Jehovah first" reminded me of the Christmas scene in the movie:

And Tommy doesn't know what day it is.
    He doesn't know who Jesus was or what praying is.
    How can he be saved
    From the eternal grave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQE298PYhrg

• cameo-d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit