Here's an argument that ought to stump any JWs who come to your door

by sir82 26 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

The average witness is like the average person - only more so.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

The situation I find interesting is that JWs point to the plethora of flood stories in "pagan" religions and cultures and say, "See! So there must've been a flood because so many people believe it!" (Putting the obvious flaws in that reasoning aside), the JWs then turn around and point to the plethora of "triune gods" found in "pagan" religions and clutures and say, "See! So the trinity must NOT be true because so many people believe it!"

So, "popular" belief is counted as evidence of truth in one situation, but in another it's evidence of UN-truth.

Oh the irony. Anyone care to defend this twisted reasoning?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You might be better off showing them that the ONLY legitimate use for blood is sacrifice. You can do this from a Watchtower.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/179879/1/What-Does-the-Watchtower-Really-Teach

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi dark

flood stories have many points of commonality to show a flood racial memory and yes while there are triune Gods, there are also single gods, many headed Gods, many limbed gods, animal gods etc All this shows is there is a God racial memory too. that both the flood stories and God gets twisted and distorted by men and time is what happens but the tracce of truth is there in both.

that we had a global flood and a God.

Reniaa

• sacolton
    sacolton

She's back!

• besty
    besty

here's an example of a conversation I had with a live JW about blood:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/medical/153143/1/Blood-conversation-with-JW

argument all over in less than 90 seconds....

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Hi reniaa...

Do you mean 'Genetic Memory'? That's purely hypothetical. Flood stories show many points of commonality because regardless of location, the experience is going to be similar. Like two people going to the same theme park years apart are still going to dscribe similar experiences. Therefore, many flood stories do not validate your particular favorite version or prove there was ONE great global flood. What basis do we have to belive yours over the Babylonian? Sumerian? Aboriginal? Chinese? Egyptian? I'll tell you: NONE. In fact the DIFFERENCES in the flood stories far outnumber the similarities, which would therefore count against the idea of common origin. The only reliable FACT that can pulled from the stories, is that floods have been a common occurance throughout mans history.

Now you're confusing a prevelant CONCEPT with a 'racial memory'. You're beginning with the assumption that there is a God and working circularly. There is no evidence to indicate that mans inclination towards belief in the supernatural is anything resembling a 'memory'.

There are three possibilities regarding the so called 'racial memory' of some form of a 'God':

1) They are all correct, all of those gods exist in some form or another.

2) Only one [or a few] is correct. The rest are distortions, or some other kind of error. [As you claim]

3) All are wrong.

You seem to be discounting the third possibility, and since there is no evidence of any supernatural occurence... ever, it seems to be the most reasonable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: I can't believe I just typed that whole thing with out realizing you completely dodged the question. Ah well...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit