How Would You Prove That Abstaining From Blood Is Not Prohibiting Transfusions?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD
    Abstain..."to refrain from something by one's own choice"....the dictionary.

You nailed it right here Minimus

Abstain negates action. It's fundamental meaning is to refrain or forbear.

Blood is not an action

When the word 'abstain' is used in connection with a noun like blood, there is always an implicit verb that one understands as negated. Usually these are actions that are automatically associated with certain objects

For example:

Abstain from junk food = Do not eat junk food

Abstain from liquor = Do not drink alcohoic beverages

When an action cannot be inferred either from the context or automatic association with the noun, an "abstain from" phrase makes no sense at all and its grammatically incomplete nature becomes more apparent:

Abstain from sky = ???

Abstain from boat = ???

Anyone who invokes the incomplete phrase, "Keep abstaining.... from blood" as a direct injunction against transfusion is either ignorant or dishonest depending upon their skill with language. In context, the phrase is a reference to the eating of blood as forbidden in the Mosaic Law.

In the case of Watchtower writers, it is apparent that they are being dishonest because they recognize that the phrase, "Keep abstaining...from things sacrificed to idols" should properly be paraphrased as "Abstain from [the act of] idolatry"

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

TD, I appreciated your comments. They make so much sense and are so logical. Twice now I have donated blood, and I feel so good doing it, like I am really doing something to help people. I am not offering my blood for them to eat. Yuck, gross. When I give blood I am assured by the people taking it that all the blood given is thoroughly checked out to make sure that it is safe. The idea that maybe I can help save someone's life with my blood thrills me. Life is sacred, and blood is life,and therefore sacred, so what could be a more beautiful thing to do than to share it with someone so that they can live, so that their life can be saved? I have a cousin who was a "blue baby" when she was born and had to have a complete transfusion to save her. I am so glad she had that transfusion! Nobody 'fed' it to her, so it's not as if she injested it by mouth. Ugh. She was given it intravenously, and it saved her life. It did not go through her digestive system, so she most definitely was not given blood to 'eat'. That is not how blood transfusions work. The reasoning that Jehovah's Witnesses are taught by the WTBTS is so totally illogical and senseless. The so-called 'Governing Body' of Jehovah's Witnesses are personally responsible for the deaths of so many, many people. They do not understand blood transfusions at all - - it is not eating blood! Where are their heads? If only they could successfully be reasoned with! I don't want any of the Jehovah's Witnesses to die needlessly when there is the possibility their lives could be saved by blood transfusions! It is so frustrating!

• moggy lover
  • moggy lover
    moggy lover

Unfortunately this is a complex issue and cannot be resolved simply by reading Acts 15:29, and then extrapolating from that one text an injunction against blood transfusions. There are issues of exegesis that become involved, and this leads to interpretation which itself has to include various problems of context. For instance, who were being addressed by the abstinence order of this verse? All Christians? No. The letter that was to be circulated among the various Christian congregations of that time only referred to Gentile Christians. Thus whatever Acts 15:29 means it applied at a certain moment in time, to a certain section of Christians that existed at that time.

The problems of exegesis are therefore contextually interwoven around several subtext issues which thus makes interpreting this section of Acts intensely difficult. There are various points of delineation that need to be addressed:

1 What does "apecho" translated as "abstain" mean? Is it purely a dietary term involving the ingesting of fluids into the body? The fact that it is used with "idolatry" and "fornication" shows that it has a range of meanings extending to conditions beyond the human digestive system. For this reason several mainline conservative scholars believe that "abstaining from blood" takes in, not only the need to refrain from taking into the body but to avoid any contact with blood whatever. Thus abstaining from blood can, using "abstaining from idolatry" as a locus, mean also "abstaining from spilling blood.

2 How many prohibitions are listed in vs 29? Three? or Four? The Watchtower has always assumed that it was four: Idolatry, blood, strangled meat, and fornication. But this ignores the use of the Greek "kai" which Freddy Franz, Watchtower wunderkind, translated as "and". Lets digress a moment, and look at this little word:

How many groups are sighted as being in heaven in Rev 20:4? Two, if you take "kai" to mean "and" as in:1 Those who sat on thrones [acc to Wt theology= 144000] AND 2 Those who were Great Tribulation martyrs. In order for Franz to make only one group appear in heaven this is how he manipulated the word "kai": "Those who sat on thrones, YES, the great Tribulation martyrs.

Now lets look at Acts 15:29, paying attention to how we can apply "kai", 1 idolatry and 2 blood, yes, strangled animals 3 fornication. We can see from this that the the list of prohibitions may actually have been three, not four. This is in fact favoured by a majority of interpreters. [See Bible Knowledge Commentary - pg 395] If this is the case then the prohibition against blood is purely a dietary issue, referring back to Gen 9, where blood should be drained from an animal before eating, and has nothing to do with medical ethics and practice.

3 Were these prohibitions to be permanent? According to the Watchtower they were. But others are not so sure.

Again remember that these prohibitions were legislated when an issue occurred in the Primitive Church: a threatened split in the Church caused by the two divisions of Jewish and Gentile Christians. As long as that division persisted, the letter sent out to Gentile Christians asking THEM [not the Jewish section] to observe 15:29 would be in force. [See vs 19, where Freddy referred to the addressees as "those of the nations" Most intelligible translations read: "Those among the Gentiles" NASB]

By the 21st century, when this division is no longer prevalent, the issue addressing that division is correspondingly irrelevant.

By the time the Bible canon was completed, and distributed, especially the Pauline corpus which was written some thirty years and more after this event, True Christians would have a complete record of God's will on the subject. Especially relevant would be Rom 14. Where Acts 15:29 was a blanket prohibition for Gentile believers, now Paul reveals that a measure of conscience becomes involved, and Christians, whatever their ethnic background, should learn to flex their theological sinews in making their own decisions.

Also curiously enough, Acts 15 was relevant at a time when such things as "prophets" as a unique sub group were still current in the Church [Acts 15:32] When this office would pass away as the Watchtower insists that it would, the relevance of this part of the Bible would be in its historical content, not prohibitive analysis.

Thus Acts 15 is by no means so inflexible a construct that it requires only one authorized and censured version of interpretation. Christians have long discovered something that the arrogant strangers to God's word who fraudulently pose as God's exclusive spokesmen in the Watchtower, have not. And this is to tolerate and accept various possible permutations of evidence, all of which are based on sound biblical exegesis.

Back then we can see the loving reaction of the two groups within Christianity. The decision made at the Jerusalem involved doctrinal and practical matters. Jewish Christians agreed doctrinally to drop the need for circumcision, and the Gentiles agreed to adopt certain moral and dietary codes that they previously had had. The principle today is the same. We must accept differing opinions, knowing that no one or no group possesses absolute truth.

We must all struggle with biblical revelation, and whether such things as blood transfusions have any connection, no matter how tenuous with Acts 15 becomes moot, not inscribed in stone. Most intelligent Christians would consider it foolish to hang so much, including a possible danger to ones life or ones loved, on a circumstance that involves interpretation of a complex Bible passage..

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

When I was studying to be a jw and balked at the blood issue, the way it was explained to me was that a bolod transfusion is the same as eating blood, because a person may recieve nourishment through an I.V. My argument with that logic is this: If a patient can't eat by mouth but only recieves blood transfusions, he or she will starve to death.

• oompa
    oompa

i think it is pretty simple..........how the fluck else could they ABSTAIN from blood other than to not eat from it?......it was clearly an EATING rule.......except for the fact that they could have used it in worship......WHICH the jews did every frikkin day!!!..........i thought it was only to be poured on the ground?

it was EATING!!........and there were even exceptions for that........idiots........oompa

• minimus
    minimus

TD, so logical. So obvious!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    BTS: I don't know, but I made liver and onions for dinner a few nights ago. Anyone that opens a package of liver to eat and thinks they are not getting a a lot of blood is kidding themselves.

I have it on good authority that the pool of red fluid the meat is lying in is not blood, but "juice". It must be true because my ex said so many times. So if someone needs a transfusion, just assure the elders that it's not a blood transfusion. It's a "juice" transfusion.

W

• minimus
    minimus

The rarer, the "jucier".

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Reniaa,

If Acts proves that Blood is to be completely avoided, then let me ask you how it is that until just recently NO part of Blood was to be stored or used for ANY purpose...it was to be poured out. The scriptures in Acts you just commented on was used to confirm this teaching was it not?

Then...in the recent few years, the "No Blood" stand has changed. Keep in mind the Bible says God cannot lie, and he DOES NOT CHANGE.

Now, it is acceptable to accept Blood fractions, is it not??

In order to recieve a Blood fraction think about this:

1. Someone donated their Blood in order for JWs to recieve a fraction from it.

2. That donated Blood was STORED in order to be broken down into fractions.

3. You cannot synthetically create Blood Fractions. You can only get a fraction from the real thing....BLOOD.

So, I ask you, you just got through saying Blood was to be avoided according to Acts. Then according to that interpretation, how in the world do you think JWs are following the scriptures in Acts to if they now accept Blood Fractions????????

Think about it!!! How many people had to DIE because of this CHANGING JW doctorine??????? Have you ever lost anyone you loved because of a changing beief?? A MAN MADE belief??? I lost my Grandfather thanks to this belief, a Grandfather that would still be here today had he not of believed a lie!

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit