Was There a Fictional Work Helped You Realize the Truth About the (T)ruth?

by BabaYaga 50 Replies latest social entertainment

• Scully
    Scully

1984 by George Orwell

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

any star trek with the borg in.

• Lease
    Lease

baba yaga,

very insightful topic!

"how to tell a true war story" short story by tim o'brian

skeeter1,

omg, "the truman show" (movie), i had the same thought!

lease

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow! What great responses! There are a couple of titles that you folks mentioned here that I don't recognize, I may have to look them up. For all the ones I do recognize, EXACTLY!! I agree with every one!

Here is a weird blast from the past, "Logan's Run"; kindof "A Brave New World" wannabe. When inhabitants of the utopian society turn 21 years old, they are "zapped" into what is widely believed to be a better place. They call the transformation ritual "carousel" and the audience chants, "Renew! Renew!" while the willing and duped victims are vaporized. Logan is about to turn 21, and he realizes the ritual for what it is... there is no renewing, these people have all been killed. Thus he plans his "run" to escape.

Even as a good little JW this bothered me. The entire society was so easily led... but they were all just being killed for nothing.

More! More!

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Reading "Watership Down" with my children. All the warrens were like different ways the congregation acted.I identified with the little rabbit that could sense something wrong, but couldn't put a name to it till he escaped.

BF

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Hero with a Thousand Faces: Amazon.co.uk: Joseph Campbell

This is non fiction, but really woke me up to the similarity of people of any group and time period. All Holy Books hold a similarity in their illustrations and mythologies. It makes absurd the concept that only JWs, or only Christians should be saved.

I remember the Watchtower claims all [other] religions are similar as they are all from the Devil. Yet even the stories believed by the Watchtower Society trace back to the fundamental similarity that seems to evolve from our subconscious.

• Lease
    Lease

Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451", (read that when i first became involved with the witnesses).

Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaidens Tale".

Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wall Paper".

It is not that i thought of the society and the truth when i read these books, however, there is something to take from these books that can relate to the witness life and highlights the erroneous/detrimental thought patterns or actions that i had while being a witness.

again, insightful topic.

lease

• avishai
    avishai

Robert Heinlein Job : a comedy of justice, Time enough for love, and all his other works to a degree. Frank herbert's Dune series.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I remember reading The Handmaidens Tale as a witness - and yes that did make me think. Thanks lease for jogging my memory.

babayaga, I now have in my possession Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

A Wrinkle in Time. The planet where everyone had to behave in exactly the same way and even the kids had to bounce their balls in perfect coordination. If someone got sick, they were eliminated. No deviations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit