Psychologists repudiate gay-to-straight therapy

by Rabbit 23 Replies latest social current

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This is interesting, it's from the PFOX website. Even exgays face discrimination.

http://pfox.org/about_us.html

What are some of the discriminatory actions against ex-gays?

Due to media indifference, many Americans are unaware of the widespread intolerance practiced against those who leave homosexuality:

• Unlike gay groups, ex-gay groups like PFOX are routinely denied equal access to participate in public school events, donate books to public school libraries, and present speakers on diversity day.
    • Transgenders and cross-dressers are affirmed for changing their gender but former homosexuals are ridiculed for making the decision to change their sexual orientation.
    • Ex-gay conferences and seminars across the country are frequently picketed by anti-ex-gay protestors like PFLAG, a parents organization run by a gay activist, and Soulforce, a gay religious organization.
    • Presidential candidate Barack Obama was criticized by gay activists for allowing ex-gay gospel singer Donnie McClurkin to sing at a fundraiser. They insisted that Obama drop the African-American singer from the program. Gay singers did not receive this treatment.
    • Harvard University conducted two separate investigations against employee Larry Houston because he discussed his former homosexuality on campus.
    • Equality Virginia demanded that Washington DC Metro remove PFOX’s subway billboards advocating tolerance for ex-gays.
    • An ex-gay volunteer staffing PFOX’s exhibit booth at the Arlington County, Virginia Fair was physically assaulted because he refused to recant his ex-gay testimony. Wayne Besen, a former spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign, falsely reported that the assault had never occurred.
    • After speaking at an ex-gay conference, Michelle McKinney-Hammond lost her programming on a broadcast station because gay activist Wayne Besen had complained to the station.
    • After writing a letter her local newspaper as a concerned citizen, Crystal Dixon was terminated from her job as an Associate Vice President of Human Resources for Toledo University. An African-American, Dixon challenged the civil rights comparison of race with homosexual behavior. Dixon’s letter also revealed that some gay people have overcome unwanted homosexual feelings, as evidenced by the growing popularity of PFOX and other ex-gay organizations.

The list is endless because every day brings new hostile acts against the ex-gay community and their supporters.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I believe humans can choose a great deal regarding their inner selves. I am not convinced either way, and there are psych groups that say otherwise to the APA. I get the impression that there is more than a bit of political correctness involved in the slamming the door on the possibility of change.

Forgive me, but are you saying same sex attraction is a choice?

If so, if same sex were the norm, if being gay were what society expected and demanded, then I suppose I could do it. I'd guarantee you I'd be thinking of Farrah's poster a lot. But in that situation if I were to submit to "therapy" to change me to be attracted to men, sorry it just wouldn't work. That's not who I am. I suppose I could fake it, but it wouldn't change the fact I like girls.

It is reasonable, at least to my single digit IQ, to accept the reverse is accurate. There are people out there who are attracted to the same sex. I just don't see what is so god awful wrong about that. Nor do I understand why so many religious folks get so worked up over the issue.

Chris

• cliff
    cliff

I am old, straight (whatever that means!) but,

loving music, dance and all the arts am very much aware of the feminine side of life and the brilliant priceless contribution to our culture of those who lean in that direction.

Now mysogenists, on the other hand, really get me wound up!

Cliff

• scotsman
    scotsman

I've talked to a number of people who have tried reparative therapy, and it's a topic that's been explored by a number of gay JWs. None of them have resulted in a gay-to-straight switch. The gay JW support group actively discourages its members from undergoing it as they've concluded that it's mentally harmful. Being celibate for your faith is one thing, but imposing active heterosexuality is another, one that can have unfortunate consequences:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/aug/15/gay-religion-acceptance-judaism

And it's not like there aren't compelling reasons, faith aside, to conform to the heteronormative:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8204853.stm

If that sort of persecution doesn't make you straight, will a chat and hug with a tubby, bearded counsellor be any more successful?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit