Psychologists repudiate gay-to-straight therapy

by Rabbit 23 Replies latest social current

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

OhioCowboy said:

after my parents had me go through a series of Electro Shock Therapy-(ECT), I tried going to the Gay To Straight therapy. It just didn't work. It wasn't natural for me. I wished I was Straight, and even still wish I had been, but it just didn't work. The guilt that they put one through is almost unbearable. Had I continued to go, no doubt I would have killed myself.

Oh good gods, Dear Ohio!!! I am so, SO sorry you were forced to endure this. My heart cries... and I send you great big typed hugs!!!

Love to you,
    Baba.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Question: Why slam those that makes choices of wanting to be straight? If they want to be straight, shouldn't we respect that choice instead of ridiculing them for making that decision?

Yiz

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I don't know if I 100% believe this. Psychology is supposed to help people. If someone wants to change their sexual orientation, then that is a legitimate choice. We are admonished to accept people that change their sex, yet there is vitriol of somone wants to go the other way.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    The guilt that they put one through is almost unbearable

I am so sorry. I got goosebumps reading your post. I can't imagine how painful that was for you. Seriously to want to be something you're not, and receiving so much pressure and guilt, it must have been like being in hell itself.

I agree with Elsewhere. We are what we are. If this sort of "therapy" works, then logically it would work to turn a straight man (or woman) into a same-sex attraction. I'm not talking about prison or some other isolated situation where the only physical release, or showing dominance, is through same sex. I'm talking about what attraction. What turns you on.

Not to get off topic, but why are religions, especially fundamentalists, so worked up over gays and yet express so little outrage over pedophilia? Or rape?

Just wondering

Chris

• scotsman
    scotsman

Sexual orientation is not a "choice" and therefore cannot be changed through reparative therapy. If someone doesn't want to practice in same sex intercourse they do have that choice, but that doesn't mean their attraction to the same sex has ceased to exist. Psychology is there to help people and therfore shouldn't give them an unrealistc hope.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sexual orientation is not a "choice" and therefore cannot be changed through reparative therapy.

I believe humans can choose a great deal regarding their inner selves. I am not convinced either way, and there are psych groups that say otherwise to the APA. I get the impression that there is more than a bit of political correctness involved in the slamming the door on the possibility of change.

http://www.narth.com/

BTS

• restrangled
    restrangled

Just watched a fascinating program about twins yesterday on the national geographic channel....(145)

What they have discovered since 2007 is that the sexual orientation is indeed preprogramed in the womb, depending on how much male hormone gets to the brain as it develops. Sometimes there is not enough, and one twin cannot decide between men or women as desirable partners, because he did not get enough of testosterone to make a sexual choice....but he recieved enough to become male.

Fascinating stuff about twins,.....you need to watch.

r.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

There were 3 things I could just not accept from the WTB and it stopped me from becomming a JW- 1). I am a member of PFLAG (Parents & Friends of Lesbians and Gays) it just wouldn't be 'paradise without Aunty Johnny! 2). The whole 'shunning thing', and as obserd as it sounds 3). the whole having to wear a scarf or hat if I was going to pray out loud/preach infront of a baptised male- that was just ridiculous!

Do I need therapy to "make me a JW"? LOLOLOLOLOL just not possible!

• scotsman
    scotsman

BTS, do you suspect that therapy could turn of your attraction to women and switch it to men?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It can be done, there are many accounts where it has worked.

It's a very complex thing and I don't think it's possible to do without the religious aspect. There is a an exgay community out there but it appears that vested interests aren't as tolerant and inclusive and diverse as they seem to be.

American Library Association Asked to Condemn Banning of Ex-Gay Books

West Bend, WI — Despite public opposition, the West Bend Community Memorial Library continues to stock gay books for children and teens while neglecting books by ex-gay authors.

Many of the gay books promote homosexual behavior to youth and are the subject of protests by concerned parents, whose request to have the books moved to the adult section were denied.

“Our requests that the Library balance some of its homosexual material for children with material written by ex-gays or with a heterosexual slant have been ignored,” said Regina Griggs, executive director of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX).

“Apparently, the West Bend Community Memorial Library is not interested in diversity,” said Griggs. “We urge Michael Tyree, the library’s director, to be inclusive of the ex-gay community and accept our donation of ex-gay books. According to its own policy, the Library has a ‘professional responsibility to be inclusive, not exclusive, in developing collections.’”

“For a library to provide children’s books which promote homosexuality while denying ex-gay books smacks of censorship and indoctrination of youth with a one-sided ideology,” said Griggs.

“It is also contrary to the American Library Association’s policy against book banning and censorship in any form,” said Griggs. “We call upon Deborah Caldwell-Stone, acting director of the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom, to publicly condemn the censoring of ex-gay books in any community. Public libraries should be for everyone.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit