International Conventions - $7 Million for Paris Alone - Where's the money?

by Ultimate Reality 16 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

I have a passport and received it in the mail. I did not have to swear any oath.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

There was an Oath of Allegiance to the United States passport requirement instituted in 1915. See this article:

NEW PASSPORT RULES IN EFFECT SUNDAY; Oath of Allegiance, Duplicate Affidavit, and Three Photographs of Applicant Required. FULL DETAILS OF THE TRIP Where One Is Going When Abroad, and Why.

That requirement was dropped from passport applications at some point in time. The confusion amongst ex-JWs may stem from an online copy of Nathan Knorr's (undated) passport signature here. (Scroll down to 2008_Jehovahs_Witnesses_and_National_Oaths_of_Allegiance.pdf)

"Further, I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations, or purpose of evasion; So help me God."

Not the same as the Oath of Allegiance (still required for U.S. citizenship) but no longer for U.S. passports.

~Sue

• blondie
    blondie

Also, I found this statement in a 1964 WT:

*** w64 9/15 p. 551 Are You a Loyal Christian? ***Loyalty is also required of Christians in their relations to the "superior authorities," the governments of this world. But this is a relative loyalty, circumscribed by your loyalty to God. Because Christians can be loyal both to God and to earthly governments they can take oaths of allegiance to defend the Constitution, as is required of citizens in some countries in order to get a passport. The principle involved in all this is the one stated by Jesus: "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God."—Mark 12:17.

and this in a 1975 Awake:

*** g75 7/22 p. 28 The Taking of Oaths ***A citizen of the United States of America who desires to travel abroad will find the following oath on a passport application: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations, or purpose of evasion: So help me God." If an applicant finds this objectionable, he is permitted to strike this oath from the passport application, and he will not be denied the document on that basis.

A godly person also appropriately weighs matters from the standpoint of Jesus Christ’s statement: "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God." (Luke 20:25) If anything conflicts with God’s law, the Christian cannot conscientiously swear to it. Yet he might take an oath to ‘support and defend’ the provisions of the law of the land that are not out of harmony with the law of God. Enlightened nations that grant citizens freedom of worship do not require Christians to do things contrary to their Biblical beliefs and obligations to Almighty God.

But how might a Christian ‘support and defend’ the law or the Constitution of a land granting religious liberty? By engaging only in proper and legal conduct that also harmonizes with the law of God. He can also do this by his spoken word, including the giving of truthful testimony in a court of law. No one can reasonably object to a Christian’s swearing to do something that God expects him to do, and relative subjection to governmental authorities is required of Christ’s followers.—Rom. 13:1.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have not, since acquiring United States citizenship/nationality, been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign state; taken an oath or made an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state; entered or served in the armed forces of a foreign state; accepted or performed the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or political subdivision thereof; made a formal renunciation of nationality either in the United States, or before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state;

This would have to be struck out by an honest hearted JW, who is purportedly performing the duties of the theocratic kingdom.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bump.

Bangalore

• designs
    designs

Nathan Knorr wrote the Guidelines (exceptions) so he could travel the world on our hard earned dime.

People stuck on religion need their Fix.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I know a couple who went on one these European convention/vacations from hell. They said they liked it. But of course they did- they spent more than $8,000. I almost fell over when I heard that. I could do the same trip, a better one, for less than half that. Big waste of money, but someone is reaping the benefits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit