HOWARD ZINN - (historian, anti-war activist) anyone familiar???

by AWAKE&WATCHING 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

"Patriotism is defined as obedience to government, obscuring the difference between the government and the people. Thus, soldiers are led to believe that "we are fighting for our country" when in fact they are fighting for the government - an artificial entity different from the people of the country - and indeed are following policies dangerous to its own people."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

sure

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Interesting link.

http://www.counterpunch.org/zinn12152007.html

We have been reading his books lately and have learned quite a bit that has made us feel like more scales are falling from our eyes. Much like when we learned that the "truth" was a big fat lie. One of the books we are reading right now is "The People's History of the United States".

Just curious if anyone on the board is familiar with him.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Peoples history of the US

• beksbks
    beksbks

Only thumbing through it when I was in charge of the History section at the book store.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Someone here recently said "somone has to stand up for our country". I asked what that meant to them. They did not clarify.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Thanks beks, I stand corrected, I am up past my bedtime. I can't find mine, Lenny may have taken it with him tonight.

Well I guess if no one has any comments I'll tuck myself in and btt tomorrow.

Good night all!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Zinn's A People's History of the United States is an eye opening book; very well documented. I found it to tell it as it was and is, not biased or angry.

Highly recommended.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Thanks beks, I stand corrected, I am up past my bedtime. I can't find mine, Lenny may have taken it with him tonight.
    Well I guess if no one has any comments I'll tuck myself in and btt tomorrow.
    Good night all!

No ya silly woman!!! We were posting at the same time!! I was trying to remember the name of his book!!!! You go girl!! I was loving it!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Lol....anyway...

BTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit