Do you have GOSSIPERS and those with STRONG PERSONALITIES that "control" the congregation?

by BonaFide 19 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

BONAFIDE- This happens all the time. I remember a regular pioneer sister who was an absolute $itch . She intimidated any other sisters or brothers reaching out to auxillary pioneer or regular pioneer. She would only work with one or two close friends and would not include others in her service group. I'm a big believer in Karma- last I heard she cheated on her elder husband with a wealthy 83 year old witness to try to scam her elder hubby out of their house. She got DFed and is trying to get back in I hear. She was diagnosed as Bi-polar with depression.

Another elders wife in the early 1980's intimidated people in the congregation where people ran in terror of her. There was emotional and physical violence and abuse going on in her and elder hubbies home towards the 17 year old daughter- but they tried to hide it from other elders. In time it was exposed , the husband got deleted as an elder and he and the psycho wife got pissed and moved to another congregation where they could be emotional terrorists ! Once again Karma bit them in the behind

• choosing life
    choosing life

I have seen them in a few different congregations. There is always a strong family that seems to bully their way to the top. When we moved and changed congos, it didn't take long to see which family fit the description.

Then there were those better off financially that most sucked up to.

One thing I learned was not to take the persona of jws at the meetings as authentic. Some of the seemingly most "spiritual" folks at the hall were often shocking away from the hall.

There were a lot of really nice folks too. They were usually not considered to be super spiritual and even looked down on by many.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Yes, there have been gossipers in every congregation I've been to. Never have understood the term "strong personality." Don't think it is a matter of personality, but rather behavior. Ask me if I've seen JWs with obnoxious behavior patterns, and my answer would be yes.

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

This is my ex to a 'T'. When we moved into a congo he would be Mr Popularity. Then he would gossip about people, and get called on it, then would complain that he was being victimised.

Eventually he had alienated the whole congo, and we would have to move. I hear he's still at it!

Beachwalker

• Girlie
    Girlie

Yes. See it all the time. That is why I find comfort in being by myself lately.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I remember a regular pioneer sister who was an absolute $itch . She intimidated any other sisters or brothers reaching out to auxillary pioneer or regular pioneer. She would only work with one or two close friends and would not include others in her service group.

Damn, Flipper, did we go to the same congregation LOL? This really does happen all the time!

• Scully
    Scully

That kind of behaviour goes on in more areas than just JW congregations. Although my first taste of this kind of behaviour was with the JWs, thanks to my JW upbringing, I've also experienced it in the various places where I've worked, including my present job.

It boils down to bullies being in a position of power, and using that power to trash other people.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

PO in my cong would invite over newly converted young brothers for weekly "training" ... the purpose was "to help them to grow faster"... The other day I asked one of the "lucky onees" whats going on there ... He told me: " Well, George asked me what do I know about brother B, since he is my room mate ... so I told him ... and then he gave me a piece of paper and commanded: Write everything down! ... So I wrote...."

Later I was sitting with PO George, and all of sudden he told me: "I know everything about you! I even know, you make good friends with brother B! I even know you went to this bowling hall with B last Thursday! I do know everything!"

It is good to have well informed elders..

Albert

• sir82
    sir82

Dude, you either know about 5000 or so JWs, or you belong to the world's most dysfunctional congregation.

Or, maybe, you're just making up stuff.

One of those 3 statements must be true, not sure which....

• Flarke
    Flarke

I went out on service with a family that would bad mouth my own family! They would say that they "weren't spiritual enough," "our clothes were old and ugly" "I needed to wear more business type womens clothing" "your sister doesn't seem interested in going out on service" blah blah blah... stuff like that. And this one bitch (scuze my french) called my little brother "ugly" all the time. I wish I would have punched that fat ugly biotch!! out. I was ashamed I was too afraid to stand up for my own family against these chronic gossipers, I still regret not speaking up fifteen years later! (or kicking some gossiper ass... :) )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit