Is jealousy a "good thing"?

by The Berean 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar
    You said it yourself. Jealousy is for things of self-interest in the human realm, and (G)od is above all of that.
    So then, why is he jealous?

Sounds like hearsay to me. Is he jealous or could it be that we've been misled?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Robdar said:

Is he jealous or could it be that we've been misled?

If we have been misled, then then the bible is not the infallible word of (G)od.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I'd say "jealousy" is another arrow in your quiver.

Doesn't the WTS say that jealousy is actually zeal when Jehovah displays it whereas in humans it is jealousy. This to me shows that we can reframe the emotion - but not lose its dramatic power

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yhwh's "jealousy"/"zeal" (or "jealous passion," to account for the "positive" and "negative" aspects of qn' which are unseparable in Hebrew) first and fully makes sense in a both polytheistic and monolatrous context -- there are other gods and Yhwh doesn't want his people to serve (worship) them. It also works sometimes not as an abstract personal quality but as a quasi-autonomous, impersonal numinous "power" which circumstances may trigger and can be placated through ritual (cf. the "spirit of jealousy" in the ordeal ritual of Numbers 5; qçp, "wrath," works in a similar way in a number of cases). Of course all of this doesn't make sense anymore in a one-God context (monotheism proper) and must be "reframed" (as ql put it), reinterpreted or rationalised differently.

Shifting subjects, the (pessimistic?) op is reminiscent of Qoheleth/Ecclesiastes 4:4: "Then I saw that all toil and all skill in work come from one person's envy (or jealousy, qin'ah) of another. This also is vanity and a chasing after wind."

• Robdar
    Robdar
    If we have been misled, then then the bible is not the infallible word of (G)od.

You still believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God?

• Farkel
    Farkel

:What would humans strive to achieve if it were not what others already had?

You are confusing jealousy with emulation. In your example, jealousy could exist without anyone "striving" to get anything at all.

Farkel

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Robdar said:

You still believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God?

Nope. That was sort of my point.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

okay here is a contrast to the world of vanity, oppression and jealousy

from biblegateway and the message bible

eclesiastes4:

6 One handful of peaceful repose
    Is better than two fistfuls of worried work—
    More spitting into the wind.

13 A poor youngster with some wisdom is better off than an old but foolish king who doesn't know which end is up.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I think that jealousy has its place. If an unbelieving mates spouse spends more time serving ‘Jehovah’ than they do have positive input into the family, then I see that as a very good reason to be jealous. In fact I would go onto say that if a spouse serves Jehovah at all then that is proper cause for jealousy.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I believe jealousy and monogamy are evolutionary developments. That doesn't make them any less valid....just an interesting way to look at it.

If I'm right, the anger accompanying jealousy is innate....just like when someone steals your essentials or hurts your kids. Because we have highly evolved brains and psyches, we can choose how much we respond to the urge of jealous rage.

Here is a very interesting book on the subject, one of the top 5 books I've ever read in my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit