Germany, Octogenerian enters KH with Machine Gun

by skeeter1 67 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Pensioner enters Jehovah's Witness church with machine gun

Published: 31 Jul 09 09:13 CET

An 82-year-old man who entered a meeting of Jehovah’s Witnesses armed with a submachine gun, three magazines, a Samurai sword and a knife has been arrested, Bielefeld police reported on Friday.

Some 81 members of the church were gathered in their Kingdom Hall on Dunlopstraße in the city’s Sennestadt district when a congregation member noticed the masked elderly man enter the vestibule waving the machine gun around 8:45 pm on Thursday.

The witness quietly informed the congregation and directed them to escape the building via emergency exit, a police statement said.

Meanwhile the man entered and left the hall before attempting to return to his vehicle, an Opel Astra parked some 50 metres away, waving his gun along the way.

But before he could leave the scene, two of the congregation members overcame the man from behind. Police arrived shortly thereafter to arrest him.

Police in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia are investigating the man’s motives, the statement said.

The Local ([email protected])

• White Dove
    White Dove

Those guys were very brave. Everyone handled it perfectly and I'm so glad no one was hurt.

• villabolo
    villabolo

What was the motive?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, thankfully no one was hurt. If Bethel hasn't done so by now, they need to implement a worldwide training on how to deal with terrorists who enter the KH. Perhaps that should also be the next Drama at the DC?

It will be interesting to see if this man had a JW connection, and was another JW (or recently disfellowshipped JW) who snapped under the pressure cooker.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Bielefeld, Germany - An elderly man who stormed a gathering of Jehovah's Witnesses Thursday, armed with a machine gun, had planned a rampage, police in the northern German city of Bielefeld said on Friday. The 82-year-old, who burst into the community centre Thursday evening, had written private notes announcing his intention to fire a gun into the gathering, the police said.

A technical fault prevented the weapon from firing.

More than 80 people were present at the meeting of Jehovah's Witnesses, when the masked man entered at 8:45 pm (1845 GMT).

A guard had seen him arrive and alerted the congregation so members could leave through an emergency exit. Nobody was injured.

The octogenarian is thought to have entered the cleared room and left immediately. Shortly thereafter he appeared at the emergency exit, without his mask.

Ignoring the group of people gathered by the exit, the man headed for his car. As he turned his back to the gathering, two of the congregation members grabbed him and held him until police arrived.

Officers also found a samurai sword, three clips of bullets and a knife in the man's car, parked nearby.

The man, who was taken into police custody, allegedly blamed the Jehovah'ss Witnesses for making him lose contact to his daughter.

• blondie
    blondie

The man, who was taken into police custody, allegedly blamed the Jehovah'ss Witnesses for making him lose contact to his daughter.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I bet this surprises no one on this forum.

• White Dove
    White Dove

You'd think the guy would prefer to hit Bethel instead of a little congregation, but not being a JW, he probably didn't know that. Nope, I'm not surprised at all. But what makes others want to take out other churches and schools? Unfortunately, this attack makes more sense than the others.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Well, I'm glad nothing happened, but the JW's will now claim 'angelic' protection because of the fact the gun did not work. In other scenarios it does work so this claim will seem valid.

But again, no one wishes this kind of bad on innocent people, no matter what their weird beliefs are.

Outaservice

• VIII
    VIII

I have to admit, I first burst out laughing and second thought was "it has to be over a DFing".

Very sad.

On one hand I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone, on the other I wish he had.

However, if he had hurt someone they would claim they were persecuted. Now that he didn't hurt anyone they can claim they are protected by Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit