JW diseases

by highdose 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• watson
    watson

Amazing what people will come up with to get out of going to meetings..

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

LOL - kurtbethel

More on the point, the illnesses mentioned are known only because Society in general reports having them, and doctors diagnose them. We seem prepared to stake everything on a doctors word when it suits our purpose , but deny it when it offends our prejudice.

I have J W family members who have struggled with very genuine depression, Irritable Bowell, Chronic fatigue syndrome (AKA M.E...

I accept that this does not speak well of "The happiest people in the world", and the movement has its share of hypochondriacs and cynics who distrust doctors - but do not tar them all with the same brush...

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I think it is ironic how certain things are "against their religion" presumeably because "Jehovah knows what is best for us." One would think that with such divine rules principles about things that are healthy and unhealthy, JWs would be the healthiest people on the planet. Yet, obesity, diabetes, depression, heart disease, strokes, and other chronic illnesses afflict Witnesses at least as much as the population in general.

What is the difference between getting lung cancer from a lifetime of smoking cigarettes and getting colon cancer from a lifetime of bad diet choices? What's the point in disfellowshipping someone for smoking cigarettes when so many at the hall are overweight? Of course, JWs are also no different from the population in general when it comes to following fad diets.

There is just no evidence of divine direction in this religion. Where is their so-called "spiritual paradise"?

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Yes, Fibromyalgia and CFS are prevalent in the KH's. As are allergies to perfumes and the like. I think in today's society, so fast paced and then with the added pressures of meeting attendance and field service, noone gets a chance to relax. People who work full time, then have their weekend full of meetings and service never get a break. They don't have a chance to wind down and take things leisurely. There's always somewhere to be. I think this is in part why the meeting hours were changed and bookstudy dropped. Maybe they realised people can't 'do it all'.

Along with all these illnesses comes people who don't understand, don't care and think it's all in the mind. Shepherding calls, 'encouragment' from elders wives follow, yet all you are is utterly exhausted and worn out. The last thing you need is to be told how much more you should be doing.

• Chalam
    Chalam

There is just no evidence of divine direction in this religion.

Amen!

Where is their so-called "spiritual paradise"?

Agreed. According to the bible, there should be signs "on earth, as it is in heaven" Matthew 6:9-10

Such as shame JWs don't believe the bible

Luke 9:6 (New International Version)

6 So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere.

Acts 3:16 (New International Version)

16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.

Acts 4:10 (New International Version)

10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.

1 Peter 2:24 (New International Version)

24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

Mark 16:17-18 (New International Version)

17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

1 Thessalonians 1:5 (New International Version)

5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.

Has the Creator of the whole universe suddenly decided not to heal anymore?! Hebrews 13:8 Malachi 3:6 Studying with the WT only brings afflictions, not healing :( All the best, Stephen

• bubble
    bubble

I think anything vague that can get you out of going to meetings or on field service, was highly prevelant when I was a witness. ME was the big one as far as my cong was concerned. Not a real illness!!!! Just a get out clause for laziness, or for those who secretly don't want to be a JW any more!!!

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

ME not a real illness?? I have seen people with this syndrome who really cant get out of bed because of the extreme weakness. Shame on everybody who claims thats its not a real illness. Sure some people can fake they have it but there are a lot of people who do really have it.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

WINDOW CLEANERS ELBOW was an epidemic here in Australia among Witnesses!

• villabolo
    villabolo

Is it possible that some people with a real problem, correctly diagnosed or not, are attracted to the JWs because of the promise of a perfect body?

villabolo

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

it always amazes me how the wacky witness culture is the same no matter where you go. we have cases of fibromyalgia, depression (of course), perfume alergies etc where I live. It just cracks me up to see how this stuff is a coast to coast phenomenon in WT-land. must be something in the water koolaid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit