AllTimeJeff: When you get a moment, Your take on this would be appreciated.

by palmtree67 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This is one of the first major incidents that made me start questioning.

Our Hall had 5 elders and 2 MS's. We also had various other brothers, all doing fine. Some of the brothers who didn't have priveledges did magazines, literature, etc.

One day, the elders decided the brothers were not reaching out enough. So they removed the brothers who were not MS's from their duties and assigned sisters to work the literature counter and do magazines. The brothers who were removed were publicly humiliated. One of them begged the elders to not do this to him, they refused. The decision had already been made and would not be reversed. Sisters were also assigned to do the accounts and order literature.

That was shocking enough. A couple of weeks later, at the Service Mtg, the brother announced we would break for the second school. And a SISTER WITH A HAT ON took students into the second school. You could've heard a pin drop. People's jaws dropped.

This went on for 8 months. People were uncomfortable going to the literature counter to get their magazines. The sisters had to start bringing the mags out to people. when questioned, the elders went on the defensive, they said the CO had approved the arrangement. Later on, an elder I knew personally said that he asked the CO if he had been consulted on this, and he denied it. Someone was lying. Flat out lying. The elders said, and I quote, "The brothers needed to be taught a lesson." and "We're elders, we can do whatever we want."

A local needs part was given in which the cong was told that anyone not going along with the body of elders was disloyal to Jehovah. They counselled that no one should be going to other congs or other elders and telling them what was going on, since other lders in other congs would not understand the situation in our cong. One sister said after that meeting, "Well, haven't we all just been spanked?" We all shut up after that.

Two of the sisters who were given assignments: One had an unbelieving husband. She quickly developed terrible stomach problems, lost a ton of weight and barely came to meetings after this. The other sister was a daughter of one of the elders who battled depression and she quickly went downhill as well.

The two other sisters who got assignments were both elders wives and Boy! Did their assignments ever go to their heads! They became haughty and sarcastic.

The 8 months this went on was IN BETWEEN CIRCUIT OVERSEER VISITS. So no CO ever saw sisters behind the counter. The first CO Visit with the new CO, he praised the cong for our over-the-national-average meeting attendance!! Everyone knew that wasn't true, rumors started flying that someone on the elder body was fudging the numbers.

Eventually, over 20 publishers officially walked out of that cong. Including one of the MS's who had a bookstudy in his home. Others started attending other congs as much as they could.

Assuming every other brother in the cong was indeed a big, fat loser - Why, with 5 elders and 2 MS's did they need sisters to fill those positions????

This was about 5 years ago now. Nothing has ever been done. The PO from that cong no longer attends meetings.

As I say, it was the start of me questioning alot of things. Everything that happened here was TOTALLY against everything I had been taught my whole life......and NO ONE SAID A THING!! In my first post ever, I think I mentioned that I needed to make sense of some of my experiences.

I would just be interested in hearing your take on this, due to the experience you've had in the org. and the fact that I respect very much the things you have to say.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Of course, all are welcome to post on this, not just ATJ!!

Thanks,

• C. T. Russell
    C. T. Russell

I read this and kept waiting for the punch line.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

These type of circumstances happen from time to time, though your account details a more extreme example of the testing that does take place. Accurate knowledge of the range of Bible truth allows each and every one to know how to act, but Satan does his best to try to pit congregation members against one another and embolden elders to "lord it" over others, as they ought not. Elders who "lord it" over others ought to be marked, and not obeyed, since they are working against their scriptural assignment, and thus demonstrate that they are no longer qualified. Anyone who goes along with such a ruse are accomplices to this theocratic crime. That's my read.

• DT
    DT

I used to go to a small congregation with few brothers. I was kept very busy doing sound, mics, etc. in addition to the many parts I had. After I moved, I visited and observed that sisters were doing most of my former assignments. At first I was surprised, but then I started to wonder why I worked so hard when there were sisters who could help.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

the sisters only stead in for "brothers" when the "brother" don't qualify (according to the BOE's reckoning, whether it's accurate or not)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

That's just my point, spike.

If I follow them blindly, going against my conscience, then I believe that would not be what God wants.

If I dont follow them, I am disloyal to Jah, also not what he wants.

Either way, I can't win.

This is what has bothered me for a long time.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I know, CT,

I've been waiting for the punchline, too.

a snail....to indicate great slowness.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Actually, I don't consider rejecting inappropriate direction as being disloyal, regardless as to whether it's elders or any other leadership. I believe in relative headship regarding the elders, just as when a husband directs the wife to go against the spirit of the Scriptures, or when Caesar directs us to do what the Bible forbids. It's all the same thing, as far as I understand.

• hotspur
    hotspur

Spike. Don't make me laugh! Get real!

How much does it take for you to realise that you have to put so much 'spin' on all these 'irregularities' for want of a better phrase? The more I hear the less it makes sense and I guess I'm not alone in this. What I fail to realise is how people can give some sort of rationale to this type of reasoning. Some sort of test? What do you mean? I have to equate all this with the simple understanding of "his commandments are not burdensome". Then you come out with this baloney!

I have no problem with sisters doing these things as long as it doesn't demean the brothers within their own (JW) code. There are many women more than capaple of doing these tasks. But, if the Society decides they shouldn't be then you have to question the 'code' by which arrive at such decisions.

You have a typical case whereby the 'lesser congregational lights' are not able to question or query what the 'greater lights' are doing for fear of losing any respect or priviledge they do have. What a ridiculous state of affairs.

Next they'll be counselling the sisters, removing their priviledges cos they have a beard! Or, perhaps, their hair is covering their ears!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit