Birthday Celebrations & other shenanigans

by homeschool 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have been to quite a few birthday parties when I was little. I have seen the cake and ice cream, the exchange of gifts, and the games that are generally played. But never have I seen the game of Take The Head Off Of a Christian played at any of these parties.

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

even if Job's children were not celebrating their birthdays per se, they still were celebrating their own "day" a day dedicated to celebrate them. The watchtower would have you believe there is a distinction. So if i don't celebrate me on my "birth day" in October, but if I celebrate me on my own day say in May, then that's okay.

well good because my kids birthdays usually hit during the week, and we usually celebrate "their" day on a Saturday. Problem solved, now Jehobah can't smite me.

Lily

• Mary
    Mary

The ban on birthdays is ridiculous, based on bizarre logic (if you can even call it that) and certainly not scriptural.

The simplest way of explaining it is this: birthdays were known in bible times. If God did not want either the Israelites or the early Christians to celebrate their birthdays, there would have been some law put down stating exactly that. There isn't.

• blondie
    blondie

jws aren't the only ones that don't celebrate birthdays, strangely enough. I wondered where their doctrine originated?

Restored Church of God

http://www.thercg.org/articles/abcc.html

Also the angels celebrated Christ's birth:

(Luke

2:8-14)8 There were also in that same country shepherds living out of doors and keeping watches in the night over their flocks. 9 And suddenly Jehovah’s angel stood by them, and Jehovah’s glory gleamed around them, and they became very fearful. 10 But the angel said to them: "Have no fear, for, look! I am declaring to YOU good news of a great joy that all the people will have, 11 because there was born to YOU today a Savior, who is Christ [the] Lord, in David’s city. 12 And this is a sign for YOU: YOU will find an infant bound in cloth bands and lying in a manger." 13 And suddenly there came to be with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army, praising God and saying: 14 "Glory in the heights above to God, and upon earth peace among men of goodwill."

And then there are baby showers, a celebration of a baby's brith complete with presents.

• simon17
    simon17

you'll never get anywhere with this argument. Taking the Bible as God's word, there is just no way to definitely proove that birthdays are approved or disapproved. So why even bother getting into the argument at all?

I'd go for this: "Look at the circumstantial evidence you have. Compare it to things like anniversaries and such. If, hypothetically, as has happened in the past, the WTBS came out tomorrow and said "you know we're chaning our stance on birthdays because there is really not direct condemnation in the scriptures" would that bother you?"

If no: argument over. its an organizational rule that is nothing to do with the Bible

If yes: "you would take a stand against the WTBS? What would you tell the elders as your reason for disagreeing with the FDS?"

• bennyk
    bennyk

If the celebration of birthdays is wrong BECAUSE in the scriptural accounts ONE person died at each of two such celebrations, would it not be forbidden to give (wedding) presents???

(1 Kings 9:16NWT: "(Pharaoh the king of Egypt himself had come up and then captured Ge'zer and burned it with fire, and the Ca'naanites dwelling in the city he had killed. So he gave it as a parting gift to his daughter, the wife of Solomon.)")

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Is God really that insecure that if one human gives a gift to another human and says, "Hey, I'm glad you were born!" that he is so jealous because it takes attention away from himself???

Just wondering.....

• darthfader
    darthfader

I dont know about you guys, but at the last few "Birthday Parties" I went to - I felt the strong urge to behead someone

Darth Fader..

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Not that I give a crap about what the Bible says, but for the sake of debating with a JW...

ROMANS 14:5-8

5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

• Chalam
    Chalam

That verse five is great. It says if you want to celebrate Jesus' birthday then it is up to you and once again the WT have contradicted the bible directly.

Beyond keeping the JWs bound by the WT's laws and decrees, the main reason for the "no birthdays" ruling is they don't want anyone celebrating the birth of Jesus.

As for me, I celebrate it every day and His death even more.

Romans 5:17 (New International Version)

17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit