Milestone: Went to Church last Sunday for the very first time......

by Lady Liberty 14 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

I go to a Catholic mass every week. Why? The spouse goes and I go to keep marital harmony.

Just like the unbelieving mates of all those JWs people here make fun of--the ones who go to the KH but won't join. (including me on occasion, sad to say-- )

The first time I went I really was nervous, like I thought they could tell I was not one of them. No one paid me the least attention and everyone was very nice. The weirdest part is the Eucharist. That is done every week and done at the end of the service. I was amazed they did weekly (daily if you go) what the JWs only do yearly at the Memorial. I sit and stand when everyone else does and that's it. I don't say anything, including *amen*.

It lasts one hour and I am giving up so little of my time. I sit and think about other things-I meditate and realize I don't believe any of it and how glad I am I am out. At the same time I am very respectful because I wouldn't want anyone to think I am there to mock or just get info for making fun or anything like that. I am simply spending time with my family.

Since I haven't turned into a pillar of salt or anything like that, I can only conclude that Jehovah has better things to do than worry about people going into other places of worship.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Glad you found it to be nice, Lady Liberty. I have only tried once to go to church since I left the jws. I went to a UU church and the service was ok. Afterwards, they had coffee and doughnuts. I stayed, but the only one who spoke to me was a young boy about 6.

After about a ten minute conversation, I left and didn't go back.

I was raised and baptized in a church, so I know they are sincere and nothing like the jws say. I may try again some day, but it's hard to do with dub family around and having to conceal it all.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like a really nice church. It seems like mostly all other Churches actually help people instead of just hand them paper.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi LL,

I meant to comment on this before. I just read it again and I loved what you wrote just as much second time round :)

I was amazed at how I was not uneasy at all. and it really showed me how much I had been scared into believing it would be a very scarey place.

A funny thing that, how they a desperate to keep JWs away from "Christendom", not to talk to them, enter their places of worship, read their literature etc.

Strange how weak the JW religion is. I have no problems going to a KH one day. I invite every JW I meet to come to ours and I will come to theirs. Never any takers...

So when I went for Sunday worship, I had a feeling I would be pleasantly suprised again...and I was!!!

Yeah, the Holy Spirit is cool, He keeps you informed :)

I was very encouraged and had a tear in my eye more that once.

Did that happen at the KH BTW?

It also confirmed to me something I already know and believe, and that is the JWs are NOT the only ones approved by God.

What makes you think they are?

John 5:22-23 (New International Version)

22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

1 John 5:1 (New International Version)
    1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.
    John 21:16 (New International Version)

16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
    He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."

It is a matter rather of the heart, faith and love.

Agree!

As a side perk, I saw several people I know there, that was a bonus!

Cool. I pray you see them again before too long :)

All the best,

Stephen

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It was never about any church or organization. It has always been about you recognizing the majesty of your Creator, and seeking after that, not looking back to the contrivances of men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit