How many of you actually "contributed"?

by Garrett 26 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I used to only contribute at conventions/assemblies (but I definitely contributed WAAAAY too much there) and maybe like once a year I'd drop a $20 in the box at the hall. The congregation I was in was always well off and constantly giving money to the branch so I didn't feel like they needed it. I'm ashamed to say I was sucked in by the perpetual deficit at the assemblies though.

About 4-5 years ago, though, they simultaneously did a huge (unnecessary) reno of the assembly hall and rolled out the credit card machines. Either one of those individually would've been enough to make me stop contributing. Never gave a dime since. I figured if they're just blowing the money on useless crap, I might as well blow it on useless crap for me!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yes I regularly contributed while I was working and had named WTS as my I.R.A. beneficiary.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger
    In about seven years? about 60 bucks. Never felt comfy giving to these bastards. But I would give the SP 20 bucks now and again-so -in all about 200 bucks.
  • Lifeisfun
    Lifeisfun
    I only gave at conventions and just because I felt it was just fair to pay for the seat and electricity used. But for nothing else, nor at any other time. Just like $25 each time.
  • a watcher
    a watcher

stuck, in my mind, I'm not donating to an org, but to Jehovah. I truly believe JW's are the people Jehovah is using to spread His name throughout the earth, and I want to help.

I participate on this forum to get info that I can't get from the JW's.

I have no feelings of guilt.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ a watcher: "I participate on this forum to get info that I can't get from the JW's."

So the devil has more to tell you about your religion than Jehovah does?

• mrquik
    mrquik
    I rarely gave anything. I figured all those hours on the building crews was payment enough.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I participate on this forum to get info that I can't get from the JW's.

I have no feelings of guilt....awatcher

.Image result for SpecialImage result for Jehovahs witness logo....Image result for don`t follow the rules

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I grew up poor and never knew what it felt like to have extra money to give. As an adult I was always in debt and made dumb financial moves because nobody taught me anything about money. So, I had nothing to give. I did eventually get right side up in life financially and gave some, but not much. Giving to an impersonal organization is hard for me. I love to give now that I have the means, but I'd rather find someone and make a gift that I can see impact someone.
  • stillin
    stillin

I used to give generously when I had a windfall, like selling a house at a decent profit. I would send directly to WTS. I also gave on a local level, more so when the "contribution basis" literature arrangement came along. Then I began to give in other ways. Like materials for projects at the hall. Or, even better, to individuals who actually needed help. Then I realized that Jesus was right when he said that you always have the poor with you.

I am much more discerning now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit