Atheists choose 'de-baptism' to renounce childhood faith

by whereami 58 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I see atheism as another word for anarchy

OK, now you're just being silly.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

>> You have a faith! You have beliefs! You have books! You have preachers! All that's missing is the cathedrals.

Bull. After leaving the JW I've been very curous about other people's beliefs and I ask whenever I can. A considerable percentage of people I've talked to have absolulety NO intrest in religion. They don't believe in god, and don't care to even think about it. Never read a book, listened to a speech or debate. The subject is of no intrest to them at all. They are NON-believers, and consider themselves "atheist". You clearly don't appreciate even what the word means.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

actually, using the Bible's definitions, atheism equates very well with anarchy, it's all a lack of guidance and accountability

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

For me personally, it's not the religion of atheism that's so offensive, it's that the atheist won't 'fess up to it!

You have a faith! You have beliefs! You have books! You have preachers! All that's missing is the cathedrals.

Forgive me for not stating my question clearer: To put it another way, even if they have beliefs, books, preachers, etc., why do you care? If it's due to a percieved hypocrisy, it's a realm of hypocrisy that doesn't even apply to your own paradigm.

So again, why would you care? Jesus didn't concern himself with those who no longer believed in the Jewish God (i.e. the Greeks), but tried to expose those who misrepresented that God, and who hypocritically led their own people astray.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    And these people were forced to be baptised? C'mon.

Since the vast majority of those baptized are baptized as babies, then uh, yeah, they were forced!

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

baptism isn't baptism really unless it's by full immersion and by free will, going by what the Holy Writ says

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I am quite astounded that you cannot see such an obvious parallel.
    And these people were forced to be baptised? C'mon.

PP, Cognizant has already pointed out what should have been obvious, even to you. I note you didn't answer my question. No surprise there. As I said a complete lack of empathy. Spike, I'm really not concerned with what the bible has to say on the matter since the bible approves of the stoning of children, incest and slavery. However I am fully accountable for my actions and endeavour to live a moral life, because you do not need a belief in god to be a good person.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Personally, I show my lack of affiliation with the JWs by not attending anymore.

For whose benefit is this anyway? Getting de-baptized wouldn't change the fact that you were a member at one time. The difference between this and a regular baptism is that the latter is recognized by others in the faith.

How would you feel if the JWs were still counting you as a member in order to artificially boost their numbers?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. And would the de-baptism change this if it wasn't recognized by the church?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

actually, Caedes, since Jehovah is the giver of all good gifts and all perfect presents, any goodness we have is a gift from Jehovah, which we should be grateful to Him for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit