We Should All Be Extremely Proud if Ourselves!!!

by cognac 14 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

We all somehow escaped at least mentally a cult. Considering that most of us were brainwashed, I find this very incredible. It is extremely difficult to get people out, sometimes impossible, but we all somehow made it!

I think we should all once in awhile give ourselves a pat on the back! We no longer have that huge weight on us! We escaped! We are freed!!! We should all hold our heads up very hugh and be very proud of ourselves!

Tell me why you are proud of yourself for figuring it out.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

because I never thought I would figure myself out.

• cognac
    cognac
    because I never thought I would figure myself out.

Awesome isn't it? I thought I could never find myself but now I see things so clearly!!!

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've noticed that the twinges of guilt about leaving it all are getting fewer and farther between. I still occasionally blame the bad things that go on in my life with leaving the Witnesses, though. Probably because life has been kind of upside down for us lately, with the job loss and my husband's health problem (leg infection) in the last few weeks. It becomes easy to blame that, after being told for most of my life that leaving the organization would result in terrible things happening to me. Good things also happened to me since I quit going to meetings, and even when I was going again, my house was foreclosed on...there's no real rational relationship between my association with the Witnesses and what has happened in my life.

I think that superstition will take a while to overcome, but at least I realize it's a superstition.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

And even after I realized it wasn't how I wanted to live it took me years to indoctrinate. And it took me even longer to build (yes build, not rebuild because I never had it) my self-image. I still suffer a bit with that but have come a long way. Yes, it is awesome.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I Can See Clearly Now

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day
    Sun-Shiny day

Oh yes I can make it now, the pain is gone
    All of the bad feelings have disappeared
    Here is the rainbow I've been prayin' for
    Sun-Shiny day

Look all around, there's nothin' but blue skies
    Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Here is the rainbow I've been prayin' for
    Sun-Shiny day
    Sun-Shiny day
    bright (bright), bright (bright)
    Sun-Shiny day
    Sun-Shiny day
    Sun-Shiny day

• cognac
    cognac
    I think that superstition will take a while to overcome, but at least I realize it's a superstition.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. As the superstition goes away, you will feel more and more a tremendous relief mentally...

I still suffer a bit with that but have come a long way. Yes, it is awesome.

It takes a lot of work, and you should be very proud of yourself!

Snowbird - Nice! We all now have a song together!!!

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Well, it's better to engage things rationally regardless. I still have spiritual beliefs, they're just a lot more reasonable. I quit looking at God as if he's Santa Claus or a magic fairy that will "ding" fix everything wrong with life if I just go to enough meetings and go out in service enough.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

thanks Cognac, you are kind.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Tell me why you are proud of yourself for figuring it out.

It restored my faith in my instincts, in my abilities to reason, to see the real truth, and to stand up for myself. Up until recently, I did not have any real specific facts. Now I know that my suspicions when I was a teenager were correct.

I believe it has made me stronger as I have had to use proper reasoning and principles to explain to my parents why things weren't correct with the WTS. Perhaps I have come to know this in order to help my father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit