Pubsinger

When was this broadcast?

• reniaa
    reniaa

I enjoyed it thank you.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    When was this broadcast?

I think that the poppy would place it around late October - early November.

• nelly136
    nelly136

quite an interesting fella hugo bloke, google brings up loads....unless theres a lot of hugo's out there

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

"quite an interesting fella hugo bloke, google brings up loads....unless theres a lot of hugo's out there"

There can't be too many with that name!

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568447/Mother-dies-after-refusing-blood-transfusion.html

Emma Gough, 22, began haemorrhaging but because her beliefs did not allow her to receive blood she slipped into unconsciousness and died. As she suffered severe blood loss and her life ebbed away, medical staff urged her husband, Anthony, and her parents, all of whom follow the same faith, to overrule her decision and allow a transfusion which could have saved her, but they refused. She gave birth naturally and all appeared well as she cuddled her baby son and daughter, but she suddenly began to haemorrhage. Her condition was complicated by the fact she was anaemic.

Mrs Gough signed a form prior to giving birth making it clear she should not be given blood in the event of an emergency, which also confirmed she understood the risks of her decision. But it is understood her family were unhappy with the hospital because they felt Mrs Gough should have been given a Caesarean section but was left to give birth naturally.

Mr Gough, 24, a central heating engineer who has been left to bring up the children, said: "We are coping the best we can. There will be an inquest and issues will arise from that." Mrs Gough, who died on October 25th, was cremated at Telford Crematorium on Monday.

She and Mr Gough, who married in Barbados in December 2005, were devout Jehovah’s witnesses, as were their families, and they all worshipped in Telford, attending the Kingdom Hill halls. Peter Welch, who was the couple’s best man, said: "Everyone is devastated by what has happened. We can’t believe she died after childbirth in this day and age, with all the technology there is. "What makes it even more sad is Emma had time to hold and start to bond with her twins before complications set in."

The couple, who lived in Dawley, Telford, have been together since they were teenagers and friends said Mrs Gough, who worked at the town centre’s Next, was "ecstatic" to be having twins. Mrs Gough always dreamed of a Caribbean wedding and Mr Gough organised it as a surprise, the couple marrying in the grounds of the Tamarind Grove Hotel in front of 30 family members and friends.

Jehovah’s witnesses insist that passages from the Bible ban them from taking blood. The collection, storage and transfusion of blood are all forbidden. A member of the Kingdom Hill congregation in Telford, Shrops, who asked not to be named, said: "The basis of the faith is that we follow commands from the scriptures and it is a scriptural command to abstain from blood. "It is one of a number of things contained in the Scriptures about things you can and cannot do. It is, of course, up to the individual to decide how strongly to follow these requirements. I accept that the faith will receive criticism over this. Some of our beliefs do attract criticism." ...........continues

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've seen this before, and it bothers me that the other side wasn't shown during this "expose`".

• Blablaman
    Blablaman

Hello all.

I have just been reading this thread (below) about a guy called Hugo Montgomery-Swan. I did a google search on the guy and found so much bad stuff about him. Stuff about him being a thief et al... It looks legit, not like somebody just wanting to be defamatory. It appears he ran a business called Rib Magazine & Oyster Media. It was on this link on the Ribnet Forum where this stuff is mentioned; http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/hugo-montgomery-swan-and-his-solicitors-8968.html &

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/dispute-with-rib-international-magazine-8695.html

He appears to not have any association to with the BBC. However, his business appears to have sadly come onto rocky times... this link (below) plots his decline...maybe he created his own (bad) luck? It sounds like he could have...

http://www.spokeo.com/Hugo+Montgomery+Swan+1

There are so many threads on this website with stories of extreme scaremongering and threatening behaviour from mentally ill Jehovah's... it makes me wonder what other people think about Jehovah Witness. Is it a religion? Or, is it a cult?

I feel so sorry for the kids who are dragged into this madness!

Blabla

• jambon1
    jambon1

Wearing the poppy isn't an indication of the wearer 'glorifying war.'

It's a sombre symbol of respect for those young men who tragically went to war (the great war), never to return after sufferring a brutal death.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes, the poppies worn at this time of year do commemorate the soldiers who fell in the First World War. At least, that was the start of it but it has extended to remember all the servicemen who have died in active service.

Poppies are used because, in the huge and terrible battles in Flanders in the First World War, one of the things that struck the soldiers so very much was that nature continued around them. The skylarks sang, and poppies grew. I know this, because my father was there.

Each poppy that falls from the roof during the Remembrance Day ceremony in the Albert Hall represents a life.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS by John McCrae 1915.

by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe: