"He was really smart. Smart people leave all the time" <- Unwitting Witness Tells The Truth

by gubberningbody 45 Replies latest jw friends

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

This is exspecailly true when it comes to women in congs.Being a young intelligent and opinionated woman is looked at as something to be at the very least frowned upon and at the very most scorned and feared.Needless to say dispite being attractive i was never much man bait for witness boys(thank god).I accepted even while I was still a believer i was going to have to marry outside of "the truth" becuase I didnt like the jw boys and they didnt like me.I think they were just intimadated by some1 who wouldnt be satisfied with just the honour of their attention.This area like many is like a 3 to 1 women to men ratio

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

I became a witness by choice, and consider myself an intelligent person. The reason I chose to become a JW was I felt their was something missing spiritually in my life and searched out like many for answers to those question. After a few years I became a pioneer and eventually named MS. I certainly didn’t consider being intelligent a bad thing, I always felt it was a tool that could be used to prove or disprove arguments regarding many spiritual matters. Faith is built from many human faculties that can include logic, reasoning, trust, intelligence etc. The problem with most if not all religions is they consider faith the cornerstone of belief. Unfortunately, this just can’t be right and is a form of dishonesty. True faith has to be based on something tangible, proof through intellectual knowledge and understanding, physical reality, historical, archeological facts etc. Those that take things at face value always end up being controlled and manipulated It’s very easy to manipulate the emotions of those that can’t or won’t think for themselves. Religions know this to be fact!

• Hittman
    Hittman

When I was on my way out my mother was dying of cancer. She said, "I wish you weren't so smart so it would be easier for you to accept The Truth."

That really struck me hard. Not in a bad way. I immediately translated it to "The Truth is for stupid people."

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

What we could do with is a bible companion that answers back -

9 For it is written:
    "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

AnswerBackBible9 - And why will you do that ? Do you want everyone to be fools? Just how will you destroy wisdom and leave idiocy?

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

AnswerBackBible10 - The wise people are getting on with their lives and being as happy as their circumstances allow and without recourse to pretend sky dadies to make up stories about why. The philosphers are expanding human consciousness by asking difficult questions and exploring the magnificence of thought. No, God has not made any wisdom foolish in fact, last time anyone checked God hadn't done anything however, the wise people, the scholars and the people blessed with enough self-esteem to question religious fables are making the old religious myths look very foolish.

• poppers
    poppers
    1 Corinthians 1:19-20 (New International Version)

19 For it is written:
    "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

I actually think there is something very profound here, but it is being missed by many people. In the search for "truth" all ideas ultimately must drop away, for truth cannot be found in intellectualism, in pursuit of ideas, in the land of the mind. This is different than telling people not to think for themselves, and to let an organization do their thinking for them and to trust what they say, putting faith in what they teach. That, too, misses the mark. In awakening to truth philosophy, faith, beliefs, and ideas are nowhere to be found.

• donny
    donny

Below is a paste from an email I received last year from a member of the congregation I used to attend. Notice the statement hilighted.

Satan's hold on you is so tight that it may actually be too late for you. I apologize for the name calling previously, but I was so shocked by running across your email that emotions took over. I'm deeply sorry he has blinded you to the point that you actually believe the things you are saying. It was prophesied that there would be some like you. Unfortunately for you, you're too smart for your own good. You think too much. There is a thing called faith. Something I'm sure you stopped believing in LONG ago. If you had enough proper training to the point that you were ever appointed, then you at some point had the smarts to realize what you had and what you had to lose. I almost feel sorry for you. Your name comes up quite a bit and it's always when the "sad stories" are being told. "Whatever happened to..." And I'm sure that the elders DID indeed give you many explanations as to why you should "come back" but you're just too blind to see. I hope someday you can wake up and we can call you brother again. But know this: you are missed.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Wow, Donny, I can just feel the love that was behind this e-mail. I just wonder how this person will cope if they ever wise up and realize the truth.

• journey-on
    journey-on

donny...whoever sent this email to you is so eaten up with jealousy and anger over the fact that someone could actually leave this horrific religion and still be happy and successful in life. They so want you to wallow in failure and misery just to prove a point, and when you don't, they become overwhelmed with hate and bitterness, but disguise it in words of pity and judgement. Theirs is the real "sad story".

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Popper,

" truth cannot be found in intellectualism, in pursuit of ideas, in the land of the mind"

How do you know this?

What is "intellectualism"?

How is it so that "pursuit of ideas" is valueless?

• Mary
    Mary

I was viewed as a double threat: Not only did I ask all the wrong questions, I was a (gasp!) woman, and a blonde to boot. I guess that was three strikes against me. When I enrolled in undergrad studies at the university, one idiot brother at the meeting told me that I was "puffed up with pride" and why on earth would I want to get a "worldly education"? I replied that it was so I did not have to "have any dealings with the stupid ones".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit