"He was really smart. Smart people leave all the time" <- Unwitting Witness Tells The Truth

by gubberningbody 45 Replies latest jw friends

• reniaa
    reniaa
    1 Corinthians 1:19-20 (New International Version)

19 For it is written:
    "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." [a]

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"You can think yourself right out of the Truth!..

Why think for yourself when the WBT$ thinks for you!

I`ve heard a lot of really stupid shit in my day..

..............LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was smart enough never to join. Now... no applause, please... just throw money!

I think I was lucky in that I wasn't 'born-in' and that my parents hadn't signed up while I was growing up and living at home. Each of our circumstances dictates a lot when it comes to this cult.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice: Don't join a group that values anti-intellectualism.

leavingwt... right on! My brain would have imploded if I'd joined! I would also add to this.... Do your homework/research. It is invaluable.

• chickpea
    chickpea

the elder i studied with made
    a remark about his SIL to that
    effect... she was the only one
    of 6 kids to escape....

"she went to college and
    got too smart for the truth"

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Many years ago, I had a discussion about apostates with a P.O. who was a former Bethelite. I just couldn't understand why anyone would "go apostate" since we had the truth. In that conversation, he said that apostates are typically very intelligent people who study the Bible a lot.

I actually came away from that conversation having a bit more respect for apostates.

• happehanna
    happehanna

My Folks say: Jehovah wants the fools of this world....how right they are

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Unlettered and ordinary.... And Paul was to be the smart one....sheesh..

• undercover
    undercover

I remember the first "apostate" that I came across as a kid. He was a former brother in our hall. He was known for being extremely smart. He read all kinds of books that were way over the head of everyone else in the hall. He did all kinds of research in the library.

After he got DFd, it came out that he had gone "apostate". He wasn't one to go around trying to subvert anyone, he just denied that some of the doctrines were true and he tried to prove it to the elders. Well, you know how that works.

But as word spread about his new status, even as a kid, I wondered why so many people actually said things like, "he was too smart for his own good" or "he allowed all the book learning to sidetrack him from what was important" Even then, part of me wondered, 'if the guy is so smart and he did all this reading and research, maybe he knows something we don't'. I was right, but being indoctrinated in the cult even as a kid kept me from pursuing it further. I accepted all the BS that everyone said about him and eventually forgot about him.

It's weird that this thread caused me to remember someone I had forgotten 30 years ago.

• villabolo
    villabolo

At my appeal judicial committee, the chairman of my original judicial committee told the appeal chairman that I was an intelligent person. The appeal chairman responded by saying "Good we need more intelligent people".

villabolo

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I've heard statements to that effect. It always seemed to me that if someone was "too smart" to be in the Truth, then maybe, just maybe something could be wrong with the Watchtower. After all, if the wisdom of the world was truly evil, and the message of the Watchtower was truly good, then wouldn't someone obviously pick the good message? Apparently not...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit