Scottish Assembly article

by Freedom Fighter 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Hi folks

Some info regarding the above. A few interesting points, particularly about the 'spend'. Approx 50 dunked out of 8000 so a whopping increase of 0.006%. They have also booked up for next year - Armageddon permitting. Let's hope they pull out all the stops for 2014.

The article also notes that the dunking ceremony took place in the stadium rather than the local pool. Is this perhaps a way to energise the troops?

It looks like the football club are happy to take the money but don't know or care what kind of organisation they are encouraging.

Assembly 2009

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If 50 out of 8,000 are new, that is 0.625% of an increase. As for booking up for next year, I hope so many drop out that they don't even have enough money to pay the rent on the facilities.

• besty
    besty

0.6% increase - add a few CA dips and they may get to 1% - big deal - the population grows faster than that, so its really decline in real terms, especially given the number of silent defectors and DF/DA's.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Sorry, but the population does NOT grow faster than that. Sorry, but could not resist that one, UK population grows with 0.57 per cent annually. J

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    If 50 out of 8,000 are new, that is 0.625% of an increase

Whoops - sorry for the crap arithmetic - however it still shows the very slow increase.

Does anyone remember the Murrayfield assemblies? 2-3 days of torture in the Scottish Summer. How people with small children coped with that I don't know!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I popped up to Perth on Saturday during the convention. It's been nearly a year since I've seen the JWs in action (I quit meeting attendance immediately after last year's DC) and I was struck by how 'cookie cutter' they are and also how very unhappy they looked.

I listened to about an hour's worth of talks on the FM transmission (I was the guy sitting in the Honda CR-V in Tesco's car park around 2pm on Saturday. Hi!) and it's still the same stuff they're spouting. They love to talk about worship, but there is absolutely no worship of anything other than their own teachings taking place.

One thing that jumped out at me was the stressing of not doing anything other with your free evening than "worship". This equated to studying WTS publications. One demonstration featured a brother being offered some short-term overtime over a few evenings. He reasons that he could do so now that he had 4 evenings free per week, but then rationlised that it would eat into his 'study time'. Offering this sort of advice during these economic times can't be a good thing...If you're getting offered overtime that doesn't interfere with you being at the BIG meeting during the week, my advice is go for it; you don't know when you'll need be offered it.

I spoke to some people in the Christian Outreach centre in Perth and they commented on the special pool being brought into the stadium. Well, Saturday was cold and rainy in Perth, so the 50 being dunked would have had a gay old time.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I meant to add that I was thinking on the way home from Perth that if I had money, I'd buy out the stadium for the whole of July and August....

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    One thing that jumped out at me was the stressing of not doing anything other with your free evening than "worship". This equated to studying WTS publications. One demonstration featured a brother being offered some short-term overtime over a few evenings. He reasons that he could do so now that he had 4 evenings free per week, but then rationlised that it would eat into his 'study time'.

Yep - same old rubbish - Jehovah will provide. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have some direct debits set up with the Bank of Jehovah.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I'd be interested to know the ages of the 50 baptised...and how many were there with their parents, lol

An estimated 8,000-plus people will attend each day, injecting more than £1 million into the local economy.
    Hotels, bed and breakfast establishments, restaurants and shops will all benefit from the economic spin-off

Interesting.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I bet most would be kids. There was a picture in the Scottish Sunday Mail newspaper but I can't find it on line. I should still have it in the house and will have a look.

Notice they didn't mention bars/pubs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit