unique deathless generation---we were soooo special....

by oompa 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

It it the teaching that we may never have to die that makes all good JW's not

enjoy the only life that they have right now and spend useless hours sitting at

the KH's to hear the same thing that was said 30 years ago and studying the

same information and knocking on the same doors each week.

When you realize that you are going to die it helps you appreciate that we

need to accept every day of life as a gift because that is all that we have.

Sour Grapes

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Yeah, our generation was so special that we finally realized we were gonna pass away! Sucks!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Thank you for putting these quotes together, Oomps.

When you realize what FREAKS we were for literally thinking that we might not die... and then you see the words in black and white... it really does give one pause.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Promises, promises.

I can't believe how many in Bethel had the nerve to die. Didn't they realize that they were part of the deathless generation?

It really surprises me in "private conversation" how many dubs no longer expect the end to come in their lifetime.

B the X

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Looking back at my young JW life (yeah I know what they say about hindsight), I tend to think the WT teaching offered me a fantastic opportunity (or a powerful temptation) not to think about a number of things I didn't feel like thinking about. Death of course, but the future more generally. I don't think I was ever really attracted to the (apparently) positive prospect of "everlasting life". Otoh, not having to care or plan for the future was very appealing to me. It was both a personal and generational issue I think. Career and money had been the big thing to my father's generation and to him in particular. The human result I perceived as a disaster. And my generation (in the prosperity context of the early 70s) was all about not wasting one's life earning a living (this sounded better in a popular French motto back then: perdre sa vie à la gagner). So the JWs sounded as a very real and immediate possibility of an alternative lifestyle, which was not about money or career (although it turned out to be another career in time, and quite a disappointing one from this perspective). In other words, I feel I used it as much as it used me.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Narkissos said: I feel I used it as much as it used me.

Now THAT's something you don't read on this forum every day!

• oompa
    oompa

Nark.....in my JW owned biz the accountant was always telling us to have a 5, 10, and 15 year biz plan....WE NEVER DID!!....also held off on any retirement plan to at least mid thirties!!!......idiots we were.........oompa

we had more money for the moment, and did not worry about he future........so i relate to your post

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I tested jehoover, gave up a nice prominent management position, wiped out three 401K's and death couldn't come any sooner.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Baba Yaga,

This reminded me of an old thread (which didn't touch on the "money and career" aspect btw, but quite complementary): http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/127218/1/What-were-your-reasons-for-becoming-a-JW

Just two years ago actually, but when I look at the comments it seems ages.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Narkisso's quote from the linked thread: In my case, that means I was craving for difference as much as a "born-in" JW kid can crave for normalcy.

That is truly amazing, and certainly something I have not considered before. This means a lot to me. It shows my parents' decision from a new perspective.

Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit