Debunking the WTS view of apostasy

by Awakened at Gilead 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• reniaa
    reniaa

Hmmm I've been thinking on this thread and how can we ignore the definition of apostate in the hebrew scriptures? Stan conroy makes the same point. early christians as did Jesus clearly used the hebrew scriptures as a source of direction even they felt they were no longer under certain requirements of the law.

Does the greek scriptures replace the hebrew scriptures as to make them obsolete? For giliead point to work Jws are wrong for going to hebrew scriptures for a definition of apostasy which isn't a proved point biblically.

2 Timothy 3:16
    AllScripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Reniaa

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

From page 34 of the "Reasoning from the Scriptures Book"

"Apostasy is abandoning or deserting the worship

and service of God, actually a rebellion against Jehovah God.

Some apostates profess to know and serve God but reject teach-

ings or requirements set out in his Word. Others claim to

believe the Bible but reject Jehovah's organization."

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Eeeek - so anyone who worships God, but is NOT a JW, can also be classed as apostate...?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

according to the WT yes... LOL

They think they have some sort of monopoly on the word....kids of like how xerox came to mean all copiers....the WT seems to thionk apostate means all who leave theor org....or anything outside that teaches in opposition to their vomit

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

A@G proved his point well...what he proved was not whether or not it is God's org, not whether ot nor leaving the org is apostasy (leaving any set of beleifs is apostasy). The WT claims that the Bible is very specific and has much to say about those who leave the WT. A review of the appearance of the word apostasy shows it mainly speaks of apostasy from Judiaism. And the time in the NT it is not speaking of Judiaism the WT claims it is speaking of apostasy from the truths taught by the 1st centruy Christian cong. To make any connection between the Bible's use of apostasy in Thes and the WT has to at the very minimum assume that the modern day JW religion is teaching what the 1st century Christian cong taught. Quite a leap of logic.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

reniaa prove that the witchtower is the true religion that would classify us as aposta..

• the research lady
    the research lady

Hello Isaacaustin, I just now saw your question. Yes the NWT uses the word "apostate" both in Psalms 35:16 and Proverbs 11:9.I believe this is the verse you are looking for--Proverbs 11:9 states By (his)mouth the one who is an apostate brings his fellowman to ruin, but by knowledge are the righteous rescued." (NWT) The NASB in Psalms 35:16 uses the words "godless jesters" and in Proverbs 11:9 uses the words "godless man". Other versions, such as the King James in Psalms 35:16 uses the words "hypocritical mockers". In Proverbs 11:9 King James uses "hypocrite"--The Jerusalem Bible uses "godless man", and KNOx uses "hypocrite". I hope this will help you. Now you know why I chose the name "research lady". I do love to do research, especially on the Bible.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Thanks Research lady. The Bible is quite fascinating to research isn't it? :)

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Reniaa, you missed my point. If you put any stock whatsoever in OT scriptures, then Jesus was an apostate. That was the point. Jesus was an apostate. If, by JW definition, I am an apostate, then that means Jesus and I have something in common. How can that be a bad thing?

With regard to the WTS's broad generalizations about "apostates" I suppose using the same logic I could say that since some JWs molest children, then all JWs molest children. Just because some who have escaped the cult have been very vocal and visible doesn't mean to say all are. I never talk about all this crap because it's not important. The only reason I'm here now is because of issues that have arisen beyond my control. As soon as it settles down, I will be able to stop thinking about this JW nonsense again.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi stan jesus was an apostate? He himself was without sin so didn't break any law but he was the messiah and so fulfilled the covenant. He was only an apostate if the jews could prove he wasn't the foretold messiah. I think this really all boils down to whether you believe the witnesses are the true religion that is following God with accuracy of teaching in regards to scripture atm so people can be apostates to them. but like i said that is a different issue. Reniaa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit