A Day With Betty

by sacolton 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Another day with Betty (Dorothy) Dunlap. I met awildflower at the Windsor Manor nursing home to take Betty out on a day of shopping!

First ... inside the nursing home:

It's really not this dark ... it's a very pretty foyer.

Foyer seating ... better lighting ...

The cafeteria

Betty's place ...

Let's see if she's home ...

Yup! She's happy to see us ... and ready to go shopping!

We take her to the beauty salon to give her the full treatment.

Then we go shopping!

She's having a great time!

Back to her apartment, we call Ray Franz and let Betty talk to him and Cynthia.

I think she has a crush on me. LOL!

Really need to extend my thanks to awildflower for helping me today. Couldn't have done it without her.

We are planning to take Betty out again - hopefully next weekend - to Penn Square Mall for more shopping.

Betty would love to receive letters and cards! Please direct them to:

Dorothy "Betty" Dunlap

Windsor Manor

Apartment #13

4825 N.W. 23rd Street

Oklahoma City, OK 73127

Also, thank you Purplesofa for your card. Betty really enjoyed reading it and happily displays it on her table!

James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:

to look after orphans and widows in their distress and

to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

sacolton and awildflower:

I salute you both! You are both truly fine, upstanding people. She probably does have a crush on you and I don't blame her!

• cognac
    cognac

awwww

• mouthy
    mouthy

thanks so much Sacolton.. So happy to know MISSION Accomplished

Grace /// She looks great

• cawshun
    cawshun

sacolton, your adorable, I'm sure Betty has a crush on you! Thank you and awildflower for being there for Betty.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Awesome! I love these pix!

Sac, you have a PM.

Love,
    Baba.

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

Thanks for sharing with us. I need to get myself together and get her a card. I am so glad you are there for her. Thanks for all you are doing for her. vs

• beksbks
    beksbks

Sac, it appears you have done a fine thing. You look cute too. But, who is Betty??

• sacolton
    sacolton

Dorothy "Betty" Dunlap is the widow of Ed Dunlap.

Who is Ed Dunlap?

Ray Franz first met [Ed Dunlap] in 1964 when attending a ten-month course at Gilead School. He was then the Registrar of the School and one of its four instructors...Originally from Oklahoma, of somewhat rough-hewn appearance, Ed was of ordinary education but had the ability to take very difficult, complex subjects and put them in understandable language, whether it was the functions of the Mosaic Law or a scientific study of genetics. However, more important to Ray Franz was his unpretentiousness. Aside from a penchant for loud ties, he was a basically low key, low profile person, in appearance, demeanor [sic] and speech...He had always been thoroughly devoted to the organization; his full-time service record equalled mine in length [40 years].

Ed Dunlap, former Gilead registrar at Bethel, who was disfellowshipped in 1979 for "apostasy" during the great Witch hunt, died of natural causes on Sept. 17, 1999 in his home.

The Service Department was busy rounding up any evidence they could in order to disfellowship Raymond Franz, as they felt he and Edward Dunlap were conspiring against the organization. Lee Waters of the Service Department even made the statement that "They (the `apostates') had been building a platform (upon which to attack) for many years." While Lyman Swingle stood up for Ray Franz and prevented him from being disfellowshipped at that time (Lyman knew all the facts about 1914), Franz was spied upon and later disfellowshipped for eating a meal with his boss, a former Witness (see Time Magazine of Feb. 22, 1982, p. 66). Edward Dunlap was disfellowshipped after members of the Governing Body pleaded with him to ignore the facts and maintain their present understanding for the sake of unity. Dozens more left the Bethel family or were disfellowshipped in the months to come, as they apparently "knew too much." While members of the Bethel family heard regular denouncements of the "apostates," few knew of the events that had occurred.

Ed was a courageous man who stood up to the Witch Hunt tactics at Bethel in 1979 and declared that he would not be a part of the tactics used on the flock, and after a long session with the other members of the Governing Body, where some were said to be in tears over his conscientious stand, he was disfellowshipped and it was announced to the Bethel family the next morning. Many cried over the loss of this wonderful Christian man. May his reward go with him.

Tom Cabeen, former Bethel overseer, writes:

"He was cleaning out dresser drawers and noticed a numbness in his left arm. He thought it was just from turning wrong or something. He went into the bathroom shortly thereafter and when he didn't come out, Betty went looking for him. He had died quickly and, evidently, painlessly. He was a good Christian and very courageous. I will miss him very much. We had a lot of good Bible discussions."

Ed Dunlap audio testimony can be found here:

http://jwinfoline.com/Page/audio.htm

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks for sharing the photos, my card will be on its way this week.

x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit