got out in service today

by stillin 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I'm not afraid anymore. I say what I think. And I don't care anymore if I see extended family anymore. It's all aunts and uncles and cousins that haven't really been a part of my life in decades. My mother is dead now so that side of the family is really all in the past for me. I wouldn't want to have offended my mother by saying what I think to her family. But now I don't care.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Besides, most people in the world really do have empty lives, and a little hope is good.
    I totally disagree with the above statement. That is a "holdover" attitude from your JW training. Sure, some do have empty hopeless lives, but not most people. When you buy into the JW mentality, you constantly look at the glass as half empty and see everybody "out there" as miserable and lost. Truly...this is not the case.
  • White Dove
    White Dove

It really is easier if they are more removed from the family nucleus or dead. My elder grandfather is dying and it's breaking my heart. He makes up a big part of my nucleus family. I'm hiding my JW status of inactive and naughty for the sake of him and Grandma. Sure wished I knew of phantom knocking when I was in.

• stillin
    stillin

I hope you're right, but if the world is really as dopey as TV wants us to believe, we're in serious trouble

A quote from one I admire:

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    Henry David Thoreau

• journey-on
    journey-on
    as TV wants us to believe

There 'ya go. TV isn't real....nowadays, not even the so-called News. I look around and see lots of people that are happy, well-adjusted, active, and compassionate. They live their lives with enthusiasm and hope. Aspects of the world are "dopey", but, in general, I think people make the most of what they have and live a fairly enjoyable life.

And what did Henry David Thoreau know. He preferred to live in virtual isolation from his fellow man. I doubt he really had an inkling of how the mass of men lead their lives.

I couldn't go in service with a good conscience telling people the whole world is going to hell in a hand basket when I really don't feel that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit