Are Jehovah's Witnesses artificial people?

by asilentone 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I like the analogy that the Witnesses are like a suit. They do act

differently when at the Hall versus when they are in public. They

would be more wordly if they did not have the fear of being caught.

Sour Grapes

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Interesting question.

I personally knew some who were very genuine. There relationships at the KH were the same as outside the KH. These were a joy to be with.

I knew of some that the "truth" actually changed their lives for the best and that they were enjoyable persons to be around.

Also there were those I knew that were very artificial. What you saw at the KH was different from outside the KH. If you spoke to them personally about a subject, the conversations became totally different when they were standing next to another jw. It was like a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde transformation. I did not know what the real person was. Also I felt they could not be trusted, for one moment they agree with you and the next moment they are against you.

There were those who acted as your friend, yet would be ready to stab you in the back. I remember a CO who was very nice and would tell you how your idea was excellent. Then at a body of elders meeting the following day, the CO would exclaim what a horrible idea you had. Then later tell you that if you call this into question you would be very, very sorry. My view definitely changed about this so called brother.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Mickey mouse. If you could only add some sound effects to that picture it would be awesome.

villabolo

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I will admit that yes, they become artificial after their personality has been made in the image of the cult.

They are incredibly difficult to make friends with, and I mean real friends that talk about all sorts of things. They lack interest in the world around them and wouldn't know what to do with a talent or gift if they had it. This is because they are not encouraged to be good at anything or take time out for hobbies.

This is a generalization, there are always exceptions, but it appears to affect all JWs regardless of race.

They do not know how to properly behave at funerals. I have been to a few JW funerals which were little more than regular meetings. The deceased was discussed for about 3 minutes before the JW infomerical kicked in.

Afterwards, the dubs just laughed and talked like nothing had happened. It's bizarre, I really do believe that becoming a JW destroys part of one's humanity, they become cold and callous at the worst of times.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

This is so weird....

I know this JW who has so much articficial stuff in the house. There are artificial plants in the kitchen window, articicial wheat grass on the counter, artificial flower arrangements in the living room, and artificial fruit in a bowl on the dining room table. Also an artificial tree in the foyer!

The one thing that really kindof disturbs me is that she has an artificial cat with real cat fur. I told her several years ago when she got it that in China they kill live cats to make those things. It didn't seem to bother her. She has a collection of fake animals on a shelf. And no real live pets.

Could this be a subsconcious manifestation of what she knows deep in her mind that is fake?

Or maybe some people just happen to like that stuff?

Are they anal retentitive types that don't like flowers that wilt and make a mess, or fruit that actually rots and doesn't look pretty anymore? Is she surrounding herself with a paradise that stays "looking good" all the time.

Artificial pets don't die.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Very interesting, cameo-d. I don't know the answer but it's something to ponder. There's nothing authentic about the JWs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They have everything they are to think and do handed to them. They wear suits all the time, and their expressions are determined solely by what they read in the Washtowel and what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells them. They believe whatever the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells them to. Every movement is censored by the hounders.

Such robots would be better built in China where they can mass-produce them. Such robots would be immune to dog attacks, pepper spray, guns, and No Trespassing signs. They would not be moved by apostate ideas or ideas that expose their weaknesses, since that would not be part of the program. Best, they would never need to sleep, eat, or drink. They would never need warm-up or cool-off breaks. They would not dawdle--they could be set to run up the sidewalks at 2,000 MPH until they find the door button, then push the right one and immediately make the presentation. They would always look exactly like they are supposed to--and be able to work non-stop in the hottest or coldest weather, in rain or snow, in beating sun, and in any other weather conditions.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes to a fault, some carry over them a bigger white sheet to hide under in that ever pretentious way.

Its very much the reason I try to avoid them , that includes family members as well.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Artificial as in phoney?

JW's are taught to act and I am of the opinion that none of them even know how to dig deep down inside themselves to be other than they are taught to present themselves as.

They are taught that they must persevere and expect to be hated because of their faith - even if this is not reality, it becomes their reality and they act accordingly. They are taught that the world is evil and all the people in it are out to get them - yet, they are taught that they must act normal, work alongside the world but run as fast as they can whenever they can to avoid intimacy with that same world. They are taught that unless they act good they are not good and satan will woo them into his world. They are taught that if they question they will become an outsider through disfellowshipping and die at armeggedon. They are taught that love above the WTS is wrong and so they act as though they understand and know true love, while at the same time, allowing their first love, the WTS, to instruct them on how to love both physically, mentally and emotionally.

All these things they are taught repress the natural curiousity and livliness of the human spirit until life is an act of witnessing without thought.

Are they phoney? Yes. I have come to detest the two faces of the Witness because they come in with smiling faces spouting lies to me in order to fill one part of their bargain/committment to the headship of the WTS, and then turn around and wash themselves clean because they have spent time in the presence of worldly people. Do they know they are phoney? Yes - to the degree they can know...but I have seen that immediate switch when key words are used and recognize that they are well and truly damaged mentally, spiritually and emotionally by the WTS and therefore, realize that once buried in the bowels of the cult, they remain without comprension just how duplicitious they really are. How two faced and inept they really have become. sammieswife.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Wow! Sammieswife, that is a great post. So true.

JW's are taught to act and I am of the opinion that none of them even know how to dig deep down inside themselves to be other than they are taught to present themselves as.

My mother did not attend meetings for the last 30 years of her life. But she never got to the point that she could dig deep down inside herself and know her true feelings about things. She was completely out of touch with her feelings. In other words, she never moved on personally or spiritually. She just didn't attend meetings.

I have an aunt that hasn't attended meetings for even longer. But she refuses to examine what being in the cult did to her. She has moved on in some ways but she just put the JW part of her life behind her. She doesn't realize how much it still affects her. And I could say the same about my sister. She was SOOOO negatively affected by our JW upbringing. She was 15 in 1975. But she doesn't see it. She just wants to pretend like it never happened. She is parayzed emotionally. It's so sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit