WTS causing more anguish

by GapingMouth 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Come on folks...this is not the place for a a nasty fight! Gaping Mouth came here for support and advice, not to watch other posters argue about their particular ideas on religion or the lack thereof. He politely requested that his thread not be hijacked and here we are with a hijacked post.

Gaping Mouth, I hope you will return here and pick out the posters who are able to give you the support and ideas that are useful to you in your situation. Having loved ones still in the WTS is very difficult and no two people have handled it the same way. What is right for one person may not work for you, but at least it will give you some ideas about what to expect. I agree with Oompa, who has a believing spouse - slow down and take a deep breath.

Most importantly, know that you are not alone in your struggle. There are thousands of JWs who wish to leave and are in various stages of accomplishing that. Many of them are posters here, but there are others as well. I send you my best wishes as you plot your course.

Mary

• thomas15
    thomas15

Hello GapingMouth, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your trials and anguish. I hope that you are able to find peace.

As an Evangelical and never having experienced the WT personally, I'm always amazed at the willingness ex-JWs to discuss the Bible in an objective manner and without the kind of prejudice that I think I would have if I were mauled by an organization such as the WT.

If I may be so bold as to say, I think Passwordprotected is trying to advise you to separate the teaching and practices of the WT from the teaching of the Bible. The two are not in harmony so to speak.

I think you will find this forum to be a great place to find support.

Take care,

Tom

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Move, get the hell out of dodge. Get to a new area, new state, new city and don't ever step foot in a kingdom hall again. Yeah it might be hard on your wife, yeah she might leave you, yeah you might have to fight for custody. But right now you're lying to her, how much can you really love her if you're lying to her?

• IronHill
    IronHill

Gaping Mouth

Im sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time right now. I too have family that are witnesses, and it's hard thinking about what my seperation from this religion will bring, seperation from them.

Together we can figure this out, and with the help of some of the posters, as you've seen. keep us posted.

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

To those who have posted encouraging and supportive words, I thank each and every one of you. You are helping me to feel I am not alone and I am not stuck in a corner.

To those who tried preaching to me their own beliefs or hikacked the thread, why? Those who did such a thing ignored my specific request NOT to do that. It's that behaviour that is wearing me down from the WT and my local congregation. While some of you may have meant well, this was not the place to do it.

I keep going back and forth between telling my wife and then not... it's so hard. I'm trying to take it slow but it literally takes up each hour of my day. I can't stop thinking about it. I had a conversation with my wife the other day where I ended up saying something about the 607 fallacy. My wife didn't appreciate the importance of such a thing and the 1914-1919 faithful and discreet slave yadda yadda... she said "even if they were wrong and liars, wher else would I go?" quoting the scripture along the same lines...

So can any of you give me some constructive advice on how to explain better a few things? How do I 'argue' that the 607 date is wrong when she believes 'scientists have been wrong many times' and won't cave in? How can I explain with only the WTS publications the importance of this? I may have made a little breakthrough at least showing I had valid concerns and I need to follow it up correctly. I'm sure there must be threads that discussed this, so if you point those out it'd help at least.

Thanks

GapingMouth

• Odrade
    Odrade

It seems that JWs always say "where else would I go," and think they are quoting the scripture. It's the wrong question, it was not the question Peter asked. Peter was asking Jesus, who else would he follow, not what other religion should he go to. Just because 100 other religions out there are wrong, does not mean that religion 101 is correct.

I understand you may feel under seige in your own home. You need to be observant for HER issue, not try to convince her over YOUR issues. For you, 607 is a very serious hinge-point. She might not care at all about that, but might be swayed over disfellowshipping, or blood, or the two-witness rule, or flip flops on organ transplants, Factor VIII for hemophiliacs... or something else entirely.

My husband was bothered by the all the changes to the "generation." I was bothered by ambiguity regarding the cross, and inconsistencies in the personality of God in the NT vs. OT, and the changes, misdirection and misleading information regarding blood and blood fractions. I couldn't have cared less about the changes to the "generation." If he had tried to make that his main talking point, he never would have made a dent.

• BloominMarvellous
    BloominMarvellous

GapingMouth

I have a lot of researched information as I have just about left (check my posts and topics)

Will compile for you soon.

Cheers Bloomin x

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Welcome GapingMouth!

Where's Reniaa when you need her?

Also, great choice of book that you read. I did the same thing, hence my username

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit