WTS causing more anguish

by GapingMouth 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Hello to everyone,

I don't really know where to start on my first post; I feel I have so much to say and yet I am so emotionally tired that it is hard to go through it all again in my head. But, I do need support and advice and so I will make the effort.

I started having doubts about certain beliefs of the Witnesses about 2 years ago and did research since that I now come to the belief there is no God, and Witnesses definitely are a cult.

At first it bothered me more on the God issue, but now I am more bothered by the cult issue, mainly because it dictates my life even though I am aware of it.

When I was a child, my mother and father divorced and my mother told me I will live with my father because she was going to die at armageddon being a non witness. I think, as well as many other pressures I cant list for fear of a VERY long post, this was the main pressure that made me get baptized even though I wasn't that happy being a witness. I used to think it was because I was young and I found the meetings boring, not because it was complete rubbish, that I didn't enjoy it. Indeed for some time, I genuinely believed what the Witnesses preach.

I'll come back and and explain my path in those 2 years I mentioned, I think. Someone raised a few good questions about God that got me thinking. I was on holiday and when I went to the airport I saw 'The God Delusion' and although feeling a little guilty, picked it up. I read the entire book cover to cover before we landed. I felt like I was walking off the plane not only in a different country but a different person.

But, as you know, the mind-controlling aspect of the Witnesses caused me to doubt my new beliefs. Was I simply believing them because I was just bored of the meetings and ministry? It required much more research, although now I was prepared to look away from just the Society's books.

I expressed some concerns to my wife early on. I wanted her to know I was on an honest search rather than just springing it on her in one foul sweep. She knew I was researching and each day I would say one or two more things I found. She always listened and respected I was searching, but our conversations would only go so far before I'd have to stop them for fear of a big argument or something.

I went to the elders, more so for my wife who requested it than for myself, and expressed I was having some doubts. They said a few "encouraging" words and arranged for a second meeting.

I met them again a few days later, a little more cautious, and having seen how my wife was growing increasingly concerned with my lack of faith, decided I was going to lie to them, saying that thanks to a lot of prayer and research, my faith in God is restored and I am on the path to strengthening my relationship with God again.

My wife attended the session (The Elders request - I don't know if its in case they thought I was keeping things from her or to put me on the spot...) and I explained the above paragraph. I feel bad I lied, but I honestly felt, and still do, I was on the brink of losing her and things just going from bad to worse.

"Okay," the one Elder said, and then pulled a sheet of paper from his briefcase, "I actually printed off an article I'd like to talk to you both about." It was about how we, in a scriptural sense, should view animals. I have many pets, and he thought it was too many (especially as my wife was pregnant at this time). I couldn't believe that something as important as a 'sheep' saying that he no longer knew if he wished to be in the 'flock of gods people' was settled in seconds and he had actually come to the meeting with this alternate material to discuss.

It wasn't the first time he had spoken on this subject to me, but I had considered the info and decided I was keeping all my pets (They even want to control this now). I explained to him that as the head of my family, I had taken the information into consideration and after much deliberation had decided how to proceed for MY family and that I didn't want to hear the material again.

(SOrry this post is getting really long, but I'm getting some stuff off my chest too :-( )

At my saying this, he got really angry, visibly rolling his eyes at me and starting to shout so I asked the other elder to conclude the session.

Despite agreeing with me that the Elder had gone over the top, my wife didn't think as badly of it as I. Again, my eyes were opened to a new side of the Witnesses I had been hidden from in my childhood (did I mention I was born into the religion?).

Anyway I'll cut a long story short. I tested the waters with my wife and although she says she'd respect my new beliefs, I know for a fact she would think less of me and our relationship would be very damaged.

I love my wife very much and I feel bad that I am covering up every day the fact I no longer wish to be a Witness. At the same time, I can't bear to hurt her by saying how I really feel. She talks of her dreams to 'get married, and now pioneer with my husband' that if I express my thoughts on this, I will literally crush her (controlled by a cult or not, her feelings are real).

Secondly, I have a daughter. The timing was a little inconvenient as she was pregnant before I changed my views. Now dealing with a painful divorce that would leave me pain for the rest of my life is one thing, but I could not deal with not seeing my wonderful daughter every day. My family divorced when I was a child and I developed OCD (to an extent) as well as other problems from the stress. I can not put my daughter through that. While my wife and I probably wouldn't divorce, it is still a risk that I can not take. I can't bare to lose them to the point I decided I must continue my fake-age.

I've said enough, but I could go on.

It's hard though, as I explained before, and that's why I am here. I need advice, friendship and support. I've read a few other threads and some of them were hijacked; I must request that doesn't happen here because I am really struggling and getting so depressed learning how to deal with this new situation.

Thanks in advance.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Gaping, welcome to the board. I am sorry you are going through so much.

You will read a lot of comments on here, such as get out now while you can, get a new life, leave the JW's, etc etc. Some will imply you are chicken if you don't or a wimp, or stupid.

But many of us on here are active Witnesses. I was raised a Witness, and I was a missionary for years. We are trying, little by little, to get our family and friends out. I just started a thread on whether some have been able to help their family member or friends be less active or less believing, even a little. One of my friends goes out in service less and less, ever since I mentioned to him that there are 94 million more people on the earth every year, and that it is impossible to preach to all of them, in fact most people have no idea what Witnesses believe. At first, he didn't like it, but little by little he is preaching less.

I think reality and his reasoning powers are working on him.

So, in my opinion, think hard before you speak. I almost got in huge trouble last year for blasting my family about the JW's teachings. I have calmed down now, and I work underground. I am hoping that my comments and questions here and there will work.

You will read a lot of opinions, think hard before you act on any of them.

BF

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Hi gapingmouth

welcome

Many of us are in a similar situation. I moreorless know that my hubby will never leave the "truth" but others here have had different experiences and they may offer a ray of hope. I can also identify with your reaction to reading the God Delusion for the first time.

I'm so glad to stood up to the elder who wanted you to get rid of your pets.

I hope you enjoy JWN as much as I do

ql

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing pain. Many of us are familiar with that pain and I hope you're able to work through it, talk about it and hopefully find some relief.

I'm concerned, though, that you've let the God Delusion talk you into no longer believing in God. I wonder if you've researched Dawkins and checked the references in his book?

My eyebrows were raised when I found out that Prospect magazine ran a survey in 2005 which bore the result that Dawkins was one of the world's top 3 intellectuals. When the God Delusion came out, Prospect magazine reviewed it. The title of the review was "Dawkins the dogmatist" and the reviewer labelled the book - and Dawkin's arguments - as "incurious, dogmatic, rambling and self-contradictory".

Dawkins has been inspired by a guy called Antony Flew, who's regarded as one of the fathers of "modern atheism". Flew decided in 2004 that by following the lines of evidence (as a scientist should) he now believes that there is a God. He's written a book about this change in belief called "There is a God".

Sadly, often a JW would rather a person become an atheist than no longer believe in the Governing Body, but I'm pointing these things out to you as I don't think Dawkins is as transparently honest about the facts as people believe he is. And let's face it, the purpose of the God Delusion, as he admits, is to turn religious people into atheists.

I wish you well.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

passwordprotected,

Chrisitans were called atheists by the Romans during the first coupla centuries

edit: another thing I want to say to you gapingmouth is it helps to view the situation as being in a sort of purgatory

It's hard though, as I explained before, and that's why I am here. I need advice, friendship and support. I've read a few other threads and some of them were hijacked; I must request that doesn't happen here because I am really struggling and getting so depressed learning how to deal with this new situation.

so we have our flame wars and then we have the situation we're in. I find it's best sometimes to keep quiet at home that way we are paying for our sins but don't preach as we are not saved or condemned

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

My research on whether there is a God or not was not limited to one book, Passwordprotected, although I appreciate the advice. It was many things that convinced me, and the creationist argument played just a part in it. As I said, I am more concerned about the Governing Body dictating.

• flipper
    flipper

GAPING MOUTH- Welcome to the board friend ! It's good to have you ! Look forward to your thoughts and posts . I'm sorry you have been going through such stresses. The elder telling you not to have too many animals ? Wow. That's a wee bit over the top don't you think ?

Your assessment of the witnesses as a mind control cult is very accurate. If you get a chance to read Steve Hassan's " Combatting Cult Mind Control" and " Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for themselves , please do so as it will clear up for you how easily any of us can be taken in by mind control. " Just try to stay close to your wife without bringing up any JW topics which may start needless fights. Try to have " date " nights sometimes so you can pursue activities that aren't in the witness kingdom hall. Whatever hobbies you two have pursue these together. Build up the bond of love between your wife and you, and she will act less cult controlled . Hang in there- it takes time

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

gapingmouth,

I understand how you feel regarding your whole spiritual experience.

The illustration of the two goldfish in the bowl might help;

One day one of the goldfish said "I’m going to become an atheist".

The other one turned round and said " that’s all right, but WHO is going to change the water"

If you really look deep into creation you will see there is a designer /creator and we do need him.

You don’t need the "watchtower" to worship Jehovah, (in my own personal opinion) you don’t need any structured Org. to do that.

KT

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

My research on whether there is a God or not was not limited to one book, Passwordprotected, although I appreciate the advice. It was many things that convinced me, and the creationist argument played just a part in it. As I said, I am more concerned about the Governing Body dictating.

I agree that the Governing Body are hugely disturbing!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

People, I don't think Gaping is interested in any of you trying to convert him from atheism! He has no problem with it!

Gaping,

I am disturbed by the audacity of these people to stick their noses into every part of your personal life! There are laws in some places that govern how many animals one may have...and some times what kind of animals. This may differ state to state or county to county. As long as you are not breaking laws or causing a health hazard and all your animals are taken care of then no one has any business to make rules about your pets.

If your concern is trying to get your wife to see things more clearly, one thing that might help is to ask questions that require her to think as opposed to stating a fact and then she becomes defensive.

If you keep reading here, I am sure you will find many similar situations and advice on what has worked for others. There is no such thing as "one size fits all" as far as solutions and answers.

Welcome to the board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit