How Old is Too Old to have Children?

by VIII 21 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

Oldest Woman to Give Birth Dies, leaving Twins, at Age 69. Her twins are 2-years old!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090715/ap_on_re_eu/eu_spain_oldest_mom

WTF is wrong with people?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Crazy!!!

Sylvia

• Farkel
    Farkel

I was appalled when the late actor Tony Randall became a faither at 81 and then again at 83. What the hell was he thinking? When his kids were only old enough to graduate from high school, he would be 100 years old!

Then he died.

Farkel

• VIII
    VIII

There are so many medical issues on the woman's side to get pregnant at this age. Then we find out that older men will have children who are more prone to autisim.

So, people, do the world a favor and keep it in your head. Go get a cat/dog. Adopt a kid in another country. Become a Big Brother/Big Sister. Look into the foster child system. There are so many ways to help. Not like this. Not leaving children, more children, without parents.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

At 45 I gave up on the idea of ever having kids because I didn't want to be retired and on a pension just when it was time to send them to college.

W

• VIII
    VIII

Right Finally-Free. When you think about the cost and the actual dollars, it might make you stop and go "Maybe I'll look into that charity." Or something along that line. When you can't you can't. Believe me, I've been there. Having to evaluate all your options when Mother Nature does not heed your call is tough.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Answer: Past your natural menopause.

• VIII
    VIII

Correct AnnOMaly

There was a story today on "The View" (I know, I know--) about a 72 year-old woman trying in-Vitro. She has spent over $50,000 trying to get pregnant.

She is 72 years-old. She can't. Yet, someone is taking her money.

All to fulfill her dream of a kicking baby in her womb.

• blondie
    blondie

So the point being made is being naturally physically able....which seems to be focusing on women. What about a 80 year old man? Just because he can father a child, should he? (Tony Randall came to mind)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What about a 80 year old man? Just because he can father a child, should he?

I think being a father should require more than the mere ability to impregnate someone. In my own case, I started having health problems when I was 25. There were times when these caused me to be out of work for weeks, and even months at a time. The longest stretch was 2 years while I retrained for a career that wasn't so physically demanding. I'm glad I never had kids. I can't imagine what kind of life I could have given them. Now, at 51, I feel it's too late to start.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit