losing my religion

by imperialspy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome I-Spy! Before you get all nostalgic for the good ole dub days, let me clear up this picture for you...

My shrink said my situation was like that of a baby, all snuggled up in the safety and warmth of a cot. Suddenly, the blankets and sheets are all pulled away. The cot sides are gone and the complete security that once was is gone.

Ah yes, nothing like being curled up in a baby crib... when you're 30 years old! Those 'snuggly' blankets are actually too short so your feet are cold and you're wrapped so tightly that you can't move your arms and you can hardly even breathe... which isn't so bad, really, since the blankets haven't been washed since 1914 and are wretchedly filthy and threadbare. The sides of the crib are too high to see above, so you can only imagine the dangers lurking on the other side of those "protective" walls. And here comes "Mother" with your "food", I hope you like reheated 19th century theology! Yum, who needs nutrition when you can get brain-numbing propaganda to fill your belly.

Okay, I'm being extra sarcastic today.

I'm a fader. I certainly won't condemn you for missing the company of your family and those who were your friends. But you need to realize that the JW world is no haven of safety, warmth, and security. I've been to Bethel and back and can assure you, the "spiritual paradise" is a sham.

And once more I say, "Welcome!"

B the X

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

On recommeandation of my counselor I started going to a Unitarian/Universalist Church. I found it to be a breath of fresh air. Well read folks who accept you as you are and no doctrines shoved down your throat. Great social connections and activities. You might want to give it a try. People have many personal beliefs there and it is not run from the top down but from the cong up.

• imperialspy
    imperialspy

Thanx again to everyone for being supportive. It's nice to hear you all.

H4o - I have started getting involved in the community, having 2 small kids helps a lot. I'll look out your book.

Metaspy - now you have lol

Oompa - I must say it was good to hear your rant! Lol it's just good to know there are so many others out there who understand.

Billy - you said " I certainly won't condemn you for missing the company of your family and those who were your friends. But you need to realize that the JW world is no haven of safety, warmth, and security. I've been to Bethel and back and can assure you, the "spiritual paradise" is a sham. "

As an ex-mini man doing all the right stuff, I do realise now how much of a sham I took part in. I am gutted that for all those years I was misled without even having any idea. Thanx for your expansion on my analogy - it gave me a smile.

Dog - I appreciate your words but for now I don't have any faith in any man made organisations. You know why!! Who knows what the future holds...

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Hi Imperialspy,

welcome to the board. there are ex witness meetup groups , i've met a lot of genuinely nice people that way. Helps to meet people in

a similar situation as yourself. Try meetup.com and keep an eye on the apostafest section on this site.

All the very best to you and sorry for your loss.

David.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

God is not an organization nor is God a religion.

We may leave religions, organizations and denominations, we never leave God, even when we want to.

God is Love and his Son is the personification of Love and God's divine Grace, grace that is for all of us, no matter how underserving (like me).

Jesus is God's conduit of love and his love is eternal and ever present.

You are never alone, how can you be? God and Jesus are always with you through the Holy Spirit.

Pray and listen, I know that God is there for you and his love will strengthen you.

Love is the path to God and it is an easy path with a light load, never burdensome and always filled with grace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit