Has anyone ever been DF'd for eating with a DF'd person?

by inkling 12 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

Yeah, I know: Ray Franz.

BUT: They were looking for a reason, any reason, to
    disfellowship him. By that time, they had quite a vendetta
    against him, and couldn't pin him down on what they REALLY
    wanted him disfellowshiped for, (apostasy) right?

So, has anyone here or known here ever been disfellowshiped
    for eating with/hanging out with in public with, a known
    disfellowshiped person?

And I mean as the ONLY offense. No especially bad relationship
    with the elders, or rumors of other crimes, just a quietly faded
    witness being open friends with a difellowshipped person.

How risky?

[inkling]

• loosie
    loosie

yes I had a friend who decided she didn't want to be a JW anymore. She decided not to hang out with JW's. so the only people she knew that weren't jws were x- jw's. The elders df'd her fpor ahnging out with non JW's even though she wasn't attending meetings anymore.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea I know of one. A sister had lunch with her df'd daughter. Her duaghter was baptized at age 14 back in the "stay alive in 75" campaign. Daughter never really understood what she was baptized into. Well Mom would have lunch with the daughter when she ws in town. The elders had ordered people to watch the house to see if the daughter was visiting her.

The Mom was df'd for this. BTW, the Mom later killed herself

• inkling
    inkling

Well damn....

I guess it's dodging bullets from here on out then, becuase I have recently
    decided that I have several friendships that are worth more to me than
    carefully playing by the fading rules.

I am fed up with having to act like I am ashamed of being seen with these
    good people.

[inkling]

• Gregor
    Gregor

When I was df"d my parents did not shun me. They lived nearby and we visited them regularly. Sure enough, the spies were soon on the case and they were visited by elders. My mother pretty much told them it was none of their business and shortly thereafter they disassociated which was entirely prompted by the elders actions. Otherwise they would probably have remained JWs.

• undercover
    undercover

I don't know of anyone myself.

And "how risky" depends on several things. How concentrated are the JWs in your area? What are the odds of running into them while out? How zealous are the elders in "keeping the congregation clean"? Some elders are pretty much lazy and don't want to have to do anymore than they have to. If you ain't bothering them, they ain't gonna bother you. Other elders are power hungry zealots determined to make an example out of anyone who crosses a line.

I still live in my hometown, in my old congregation's territory with family and other JWs living in the neighborhood. I hang out with DFd people on a regular basis and no one has said a word about it.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w91 4/15 pp. 23-24 par. 17 Imitate God’s Mercy Today ***As long as someone is disfellowshipped or disassociated, we need to follow the instruction: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man." (1 Corinthians 5:11)

I have seen 5 people over the last 15 years, df'd for associating with a df'd non-family member. Evidently, in this area things are more flexible with family. I have seen others go in the other room and eat, not at the same table. Once I saw someone hand a plate of food to the df'd person who was standing outside.

• Heaven
    Heaven

wha happened? said: The elders had ordered people to watch the house to see if the daughter was visiting her.

The Mom was df'd for this. BTW, the Mom later killed herself

This angers and saddens me so much. This is totally going beyond any shred of love, compassion, or sanity. Shame on the JWs/WTS!

I am fed up with having to act like I am ashamed of being seen with these good people.

Good. Time to move forward with your life. I just hope you don't have family that will shun you.

• inkling
    inkling
    How concentrated are the JWs in your area? What are the odds of running into them while out?

The friends in question are not in my home congregation area.
    The people who might see me are Witnesses (who know me) from
    several congregations away. They would have to recognize me,
    and my DF'd friend/s, and then report me to my home cong. elders.

I just hope you don't have family that will shun you.

Yeah, me too.

Once I saw someone hand a plate of food to the df'd person who was standing outside.

Like a leper. Nice.

[inkling]

• undercover
    undercover

Sounds like the odds are pretty slim of being seen by someone that would recognize all of you enough to know the deal.

After awhile though, you won't care at all. I remember kinda looking over a shoulder while out with DFd people. But anymore, I don't care. I'll hang out with whoever I want, DFd or not. If anyone wants to make a deal out of it, go for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit