So my mom now knows I'm apostate

by JWinprotest 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

I finally broke my silence yesterday in a discussion with my mom. For months now I have been dropping hints here and there that I am not pleased with many things happening in the org, but I would always present it from a concerned JW prospective. My wife wants us to remain closet JW's because she has bigger reservations of displeasing her family than I do, and wants to continue playing the game.

Yesterday however my wife wasn't around, and for the 100th time my mom was ragging on me for attending one of my best friend's weddings because he was marrying a non JW, and the fact that his DF'd brother was there. I finally snapped, and started pointing out many JW teachings that are absurd. However the shock of the day was when I told her that there is no chance in hell that I let my daughters die if a blood transfusion can save them. The look on her face was unforgettable, it was as if a doctor had just told her that her son was going to die.

I tried to use examples from the bible(Saul's army eating meat with blood, Jesus healing on the sabbath) to show that people's well being was more important to God than following laws, but everytime I started making sense she would interupt me. I asked her why she would never let me finnish my point, she replied because she didn't want me to put doubts in her head (typical). She actually said, "you are talking like an apostate".

Another shocking moment for her was when I told her that in one of the convention talks, that she hadn't had yet, the society blames the r&f witnesses for coming up with the failed dates of 1914, 1925 and 1975. She actually said," but the Watchtower magazine taught 1975". But then she quickly shrugged it off as one of those imperfect men moments.

When I got home and told my wife what had happened she was not impressed. I think she's afraid that one day I will lose it in a similar way in front of her family. She's right though, it is getting harder and harder to keep my mouth shut. At the district convention there were half a dozen times where I wanted to jump out of my seat and yell at the top of my lungs, "liars!!!".

I just want this to be over, it's like a bad dream that I can't wake up from.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

Personally I feel it is better to be honest. But everyone is different.

''At the district convention there were half a dozen times where I wanted to jump out of my seat and yell at the top of my lungs, "liars!!!".''

My last series of meetings and assemblies I attended I felt exactly the same.

Thomas Covenant

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I've been there. I know what you're going through. Hang in there.

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

I understand your problem,

also my wife and children don't want to listen when I want do know them what bad the organization wts!!!:(

• carla
    carla

I don't know how you guys do it week after long week. My sympathies.

• oompa
    oompa

funny jwinprotest......ome of us can just not seem to shut up.....it can get very ugly.......i drove my wife nuts for two years until i finally shut up.

you will likely find that staying quite, and only dropping tiny hints at the right moment that may cause them to ask their questions works better......you cut loose with both barrels and it drives them closer to the org and jah........i still struggle with it....esp with my dad who is retired and an elder.....i feel stupid for wanting to wake him up when there is no way in heck they could find a new social structure to replace what they have at this point in their life......it has been tough enough for me, but would be much easier if wife was out.........good luck

i hate to say it but you sound much like me!!!............oompa

• Will Power
    Will Power

Welcome to the board.

Now you know how we as non-jws feel !!! , why it is so hard to keep quiet, and then have the seasoned JWs tell the new studies that their spouses and family are filled with satan!

wp, educated UBM

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Thanks all. Oompa I never thought about it that way. If I convince my mom to leave who will she turn to at her age? I think you're right, I think for her sake, at this point it's best to cut our loses and keep quiet. As for my wife, she knows the WT is bs as well. Actually she's a lot more critical than I am. She doesn't want out because she's worried about family. I think it's mainly because my wife does not have a close network of friends outside the family, (in the org or out) family is all she has. I on the other hand have a very extensive network of friends through work and so the shunning wouldn't affect me as much, although I am convinced my family would not go that far.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

I went through a similar process, i found it harder and harder to be around witnesses without saying something.

In the end I decided I wouldn't play the game anymore.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

JWinprotest,

My mom had the same look when I told her the same.

Stop and smile.

Realize you are not living a lie to your mom.

There is a HUGE sense of relief with the right viewpoin.t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit